• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

1 hour ago, rob1234 said:

Nice, what temp is that? 

Easiest way is to bring them right up to 90C then rapidly chill after. I think lower temps for longer time can work, but I didn't want to bother with experimenting (especially considering the cost and time of pitting enough cherries). It might be superstitious but I also make sure I am using a new set of utensils after heating them and not contaminating any uncooked cherry anywhere so as to not leave any residual enzymes that would eventually cause oxidation

Best way to find more about this is if you look into avocado browning, Ideas in Food has a blog post about it that has some lead points in the comments, and I've seen a few reddit posts scattered about. For stone fruit I find you are not losing really anything from a flavor standpoint by heating briefly to high temp. 

andrewk512

andrewk512

1 hour ago, rob1234 said:

Nice, what temp is that? 

Easiest way is to bring them right up to 90C then rapidly chill after. I think lower temps for longer time can work, but I didn't want to bother with experimenting (especially considering the cost and time of pitting enough cherries). It might be superstitious but I also make sure I am using a new set of utensils after heating them and not contaminating any uncooked cherry anywhere so as to not leave any residual enzymes that would eventually cause oxidation

Easiest way to find more about this is if you look into avocado browning, Ideas in Food has a blog post about it that has some lead points in the comments, and I've seen a few reddit posts scattered about. For stone fruit I find you are not losing really anything from a flavor standpoint by heating briefly to high temp.