• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

Really happy with this cherry sorbet I just made. Had a lot of trouble with oxidation from my cherries last year and my cherry sorbet then ended up tasting like wood shavings. This year I heated the cherries up right after pitting them, just enough to destroy the oxidation enzymes but not so much to make them jammy.

506g pitted cherries

67g sucrose

11g inulin (optional, for body)

Blend, strain, freeze and process

20220802_175427.jpg

Also having a lot of fun with this technique I discovered in the EMP cookbook too - infuse 3/4 of herbs into ice cream base, then blanch and shock and blend in 1/4 after. Nice green color with great herb flavor. This one is lemon verbena from my garden, but I have also done it with lemon basil and thai basil. I use 30g herbs for a 1 pint base

20220726_204654.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

Really happy with this cherry sorbet I just made. Had a lot of trouble with oxidation from my cherries last year and my cherry sorbet then ended up tasting like wood shavings. This year I heated the cherries up right after pitting them, just enough to destroy the oxidation enzymes but not so much to make them jammy.

506g pitted cherries

67g sucrose

20220802_175427.jpg

Also having a lot of fun with this technique I discovered in the EMP cookbook too - infuse 3/4 of herbs into ice cream base, then blanch and shock and blend in 1/4 after. Nice green color with great herb flavor. This one is lemon verbena from my garden, but I have also done it with lemon basil and thai basil

20220726_204654.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

506g pitted cherries

67g sucrose

Also having a lot of fun with this technique I discovered in the EMP cookbook too - infuse 3/4 of herbs into ice cream base, then blanch and shock and blend in 1/4 after. Nice green color with great herb flavor. This one is lemon verbena from my garden, but I have also done it with lemon basil and thai basil

20220802_175427.jpg

20220726_204654.jpg