• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I make zucchini cakes less dense?

cyalexa

I am trying to reproduce zucchini cakes I had in a restaurant. I am pretty close but would be grateful for some help.

The current working recipe:

wet ingredients - 1lb zucchini grated, salted, wrung dry in a towel; a little minced onion, a little minced fresh oregano, a lightly beaten egg, black pepper, 15 grams grated feta

dry ingredients - 1/2 cup AP flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder

Mixed wet and dry (perhaps a bit too vigorously?). Shallow fried about 2 tablespoons at a time, flattened to 1/2 inch

The flavor is quite close to what I am trying to achieve but the texture is too dense. I have 1lb zucchini left and can try again tomorrow. Should I decrease the flour? Increase the baking powder? Add some liquid? What would you do?

Edited by cyalexa (log)

Add another egg. The ratio in the recipe I use calls for 1.5lb zucchini, grated/3 eggs/1 cup flour.  No weight equivalents, unfortunately.

A trick I've adopted in similar recipes is to separate the eggs, mix in the yolks as usual, then whip the egg white(s) and fold them into the mixture before frying them up.  It definitely lightens the final cake/fritter.

• Like 1