• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BarneyDorfman

BarneyDorfman

So I've taken the advice and measured my flour today.  Recipe calls for 4 2/3 c. and what I measured-out weighed 26.05 oz.  Now I see why my bread maker has a scale attached to it.  At first I thought it was stupid.  After all, who uses a scale to measure things like flour?

Also threw a couple Tablespoons of flour into the 1 1/2 c. warm water, along with the 1 t. of sugar, in order to "bloom" my yeast better.  And I'm going to give it an hour to bloom, instead of the previous 1/2 hour.  Next I suppose I'm going to need to by a food thermometer so I can control for the temperature of the water.

I wonder if I can buy bulk sized yeast on eBay?  That seems like the obvious place to get it.

EDIT***

Found this:

It looks like the best deal, in terms of price and distance (I prefer US only, and the closest to Texas the better.), in case anyone has an opinion on this specific product, and vendor.  I'll hold off buying until the end of the day.

BarneyDorfman

BarneyDorfman

So I've taken the advice and measured my flour today.  Recipe calls for 4 2/3 c. and what I measured-out weighed 26.05 oz.  Now I see why my bread maker has a scale attached to it.  At first I thought it was stupid.  After all, who uses a scale to measure things like flour?

Also threw a couple Tablespoons of flour into the 1 1/2 c. warm water, along with the 1 t. of sugar, in order to "bloom" my yeast better.  And I'm going to give it an hour to bloom, instead of the previous 1/2 hour.  Next I suppose I'm going to need to by a food thermometer so I can control for the temperature of the water.

I wonder if I can buy bulk sized yeast on eBay?  That seems like the obvious place to get it.