• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any experience with Costco's duck?

gfweb

Costco has 6 magret breasts and six confit legs for $139 from d'artagnan.  The breasts are guaranteed  >5lbs total.

Sounds pricey at first, but when I consider that I pay $18-20 for a scrawny duckling with breasts that are just a little bigger than two of my thumbs put together it starts to look like a better deal.

Anybody ever try this from Costco?

How does the price compare with ordering a more manageable portion directly from d'artagnan or buying from a regular market that carries d'artagnan?

Yes, I know I could check for myself but it is not that time of night.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

LOL.

The price beats d'artagnan at my market or at the online sources I've checked.  In fact it kicks their butt, esp since these are big breasts, not the weaselly little things my local thieves try to fob off on the unselective elite who shop there. One breast would be nearly a pound, more than two servings really.

My one reservation is that I'll confit my own legs my own damn way. I'd rather not buy them pre-prepared.

D'Artagnan is one of the top US producers of foie gras and duck with a strong reputation for quality. Is your question about D'Artagnan as such or just getting it from Costco? In either case, you shouldn't have any worries. My local market sells both the breasts and the confit legs, and I've been pleased with both of them (as well as their foie, duck fat, and demi glace).

I purchased two of the packages you are referring to back in Nov for a total of a dozen legs and a dozen breasts and I couldn't have been more pleased with my purchase.  I was a little apprehensive as well due to the initial cost, but shipping was included (unlike many other mail order sites) and I've always been pleased with Costco's excellent customer service/return policy.  Also, when comparing the cost to other suppliers, Costco was easily the cheapest by quite a bit (and that's not even accounting for the free shipping). 

Packaged arrived in two relatively large boxes with 6 breasts and 6 legs in each.  Within each box, there was another Styrofoam box which was several inches thick and a couple ice packs.  I kept the packaging and use them as (somewhat) disposable coolers. 

The product itself is excellent - both the breasts and the legs.  I have cooked a some of the breasts, but have turned a majority of them into duck prosciutto.  Keep I mind that the magret breasts are the byproduct of producing foie gras and they are not as tender as the smaller breasts from a normal duck.  There is some chew, but they are by no means tough. 

I purchased mine during a $20 off promotion, so each package was only $120 (I think they do this promotion every year around the holidays).  Also, be sure you are home to receive the delivery it and transfer it straight to the freezer when it arrives because the weather is starting to heat up and insulated boxes and ice packs can only last so long (at least here in Arizona). 

• Like 2