• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharpening food processor blades

_john

I own a large hand-me-down Cuisinart. The motor works fine and the plastic doesn't have any hairline cracks. The only problem is that the blade is in pretty bad shape. Has anyone tried sharpening a food processor blade?

all the time.

remember  the bottom of the blade is flat

I use a Jewelstik :

http://www.jewelstik.com/

I have this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelstik-CN10-10-Inch-Kitchen-Sharpener/dp/B000IAZD9A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_6/185-9618097-5977647?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MYV1H1P9HSEH7DBHKZM

you dont really need the three sided model.

you take your time and care wiith the angle for the top side, then smooth out the bottom so it stays flat.

what's nice w the jewelstik is that the tool is a bit rounded, not flat like a water stone

it makes it s bit easier to use

Edited by rotuts (log)

The one I need is almost $70 USD in Japan, unfortunately.

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about getting a new blade, or sharpening my old blade for a while, and your inquiry prompted me to check the Cuisinart site for a replacement blade (and maybe some other parts as well).  It seems that some parts are mislabeled, and the replacement  blade described as being for my machine doesn't look at all like my current blade.  Also, some other parts pictured don't look like the ones on my machine.  Just a heads up to be careful.  I contacted customer service.

As for the cost of a blade in Japan, that's outrageous.  Perhaps someone in the US can get the blade for you and send it on, although with shipping I don't know how much you'd save.  The two blades I'm looking at are $22.00 and $33.00 here, plus, I suppose, shipping, and maybe even tax.

I'd be careful about sharpening the blade on some models.  Mine has serrations along the edge and I'm not sure if the blade can be properly sharpened by the user.  That's a concern that I have ... maybe it's a non-issue for others.

... Shel

"""  serrations along the edge and I'm not sure if the blade can be properly sharpened by the user.  ""

it can easily be sharpened.  I done it several times. I cant say if it can be sharpened a zillion times, but several times for

sure the serrations just move back if you will by the amount of steel you remove, which is minimal.

you do need to understand the process and after creating a burr on the bottom , from sharpening only the top part

you then remove that burr which is easily done on a flat water stone.

if you cant figure out how to do it, or dont want to, buy a new blade.

QED

Edited by rotuts (log)

"""  serrations along the edge and I'm not sure if the blade can be properly sharpened by the user.  ""

it can easily be sharpened.  I done it several times. I cant say if it can be sharpened a zillion times, but several times for

sure the serrations just move back if you will by the amount of steel you remove, which is minimal.

you do need to understand the process and after creating a burr on the bottom , from sharpening only the top part

you then remove that burr which is easily done on a flat water stone.

if you cant figure out how to do it, or dont want to, buy a new blade.

QED

I can figure it out from your explanation, but by the time I purchase the items needed to do the sharpening, it may be less expensive, and certainly more time efficient, to just buy a new blade. 

... Shel

true enough.  I just have all that stuff around anyway.

the jewlstik is an inexpensive and very nice way to sharpen kitchen knives if you

dont want to go to the trouble and learning curve and expense of a set of 'stones' or an Edge-Pro

when no one is looking I touch up my knives with that inbetween EP sessions.

• Like 1

if you do get a new blade, keep the older somewhat dull blade for chopping up ' harder ' stuff in the Cuisi.

That was the plan.

Looking at the blade assembly, I noticed that one blade has an obvious, but small, upward curve running towards the tip.  I don't know if that's a design feature or if someone ran a pile of rocks through the machine <LOL>

Cuisinart Blade.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

The model I have is the DLC-X Plus. I guess I will just work out the parts where the blade is folded over and then flatten out the bottom. Going to lose the serrations and scallops in a few places. Hopefully that will not impact the way it works. As it is when I process very fibrous thing a kind of knot of fiber develops on part of the blade that is dull and the machine becomes unbalanced shaking violently.