• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pudding Skin

Shel_B

I just made a batch of chocolate pudding, and, as usual, a nice skin formed on the top.  Recently, Toots made a batch of chocolate pudding using a mix, and no skin formed over the pudding.  She did use non-fat milk and I used reduced-fat (2%) milk.

Might the lack of skin on Toots' pudding be a result of her using non-fat milk?  Or might there be some additive or ingredient in the mix that prevents the skin from forming?  And, why does a skin form in the first place?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Rather than turn this into a 5 pg science project, there are two common ways of preventing "skinning over" that are frequently used in pastry kitchens.

The first is to lay a sheet of cling film or parchment paper directly on the surface of the pudding.  As there is no air trapped between this and the pudding, it (pud) will cool down normally, and no skin will form.

The second is to sift a thin layer of icing sugar over the still warm pudding.

• Like 2

Rather than turn this into a 5 pg science project, there are two common ways of preventing "skinning over" that are frequently used in pastry kitchens.

I never said anything about preventing skin ... just wanted to know why it happens and what contributes to it.  I like the skin.

... Shel

I never said anything about preventing skin ... just wanted to know why it happens and what contributes to it.  I like the skin.

me. too

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The first is to lay a sheet of cling film or parchment paper directly on the surface of the pudding.  As there is no air trapped between this and the pudding, it (pud) will cool down normally, and no skin will form.

The second is to sift a thin layer of icing sugar over the still warm pudding.

I haven't heard of using icing sugar to prevent a skin, but if you're out of cling film you can pass a piece of butter over the warm surface to form a seal.

I like the skin.

Then I recommend you upgrade to rice pudding.  The skin is excellent.

It has been eons but I seem to recall that the skin formation was more significant when the dishes were put in the fridge right away versus cooling on the counter? And of course left open to the air.