• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose water in chocolate bark

AKS613

Can you add this without the chocolate seizing? I want to do a chocolate apricot almond rose bark and my fear is in adding the rose water. If it is OK, when in the tempering process should I add it? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!  :smile:

you can work water into chocolate in the right proportions for ganache, but you'll lose that rose flavor so fast that its not worth it IMO. Consider using a rose oil or candied roses for bark. I think candied rose petal is the way to go since you're going to have things in the bark anyway.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Thanks so much. I've been doing more research and it seems almost impossible to find organic roses where I live, so making candied is kind of impossible. I looked into oils and found them on LORANN. I thought about 1/8 tsp to 1 lb chocolate, but if that's even too much I might have to rethink this. UGH! Thanks.

Rose oil (aka rose otto) is outrageously expensive.  You would dilute it about 1 in 100 in some sort of neutral oil - and add a drop or two.  

Shops that sell indian food and spices will often sell packages of dried rose petals.

I often use the candied petals either from Fresh Origins or from Albert Uster.  I'll add a couple of drops of diluted rose otto to the chocolate and sprinkle the candied petal bits on the top of a bark or the back of a bar. 

To the OP:  If you have Andrew Shotts's Making Artisan Chocolates, he has a recipe that he calls "Red Rose," which calls for adding raspberry purée to dark chocolate, plus "2 to 4 drops culinary-grade rose petal oil or rose water."  I've made it and it's delicious.  I used rose water.  Of course I was adding it to a chocolate ganache after the emulsion has been achieved.  I don't what might happen if you added it to plain chocolate (it's possible, of course, as gfron1 wrote, to make a water ganache), but you might want to look for the oil to be safe.  I did find that the rose water comes through even dark chocolate; it adds a mysterious taste that most people can't readily identify.