• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maslin Pan vs. Copper Preserving Pan

curls

For jam and jelly making I am considering upgrading from my current set up and getting a maslin pan or copper preserving pan. Unfortunately I don't have access to either one of these to try them out before purchase. Is one better than the other for jam making?  What are your experiences using either or both vessels? Thank you for any information you can provide.

The stainless steel maslin pans will work perfectly well for jams and jellies and are much easier to maintain and can also be used with high acid foods.

Also much less expensive.

I do believe for sugar work unlined copper is best to control the way the sugar/caramel behaves but for your purpose, get the stainless - it is the shape of the maslin pan which is important. For very small batches of jams and jellies I use a "Windsor" pan which has essentially the same shape as the maslin on a small scale.  I have two, one is Calphalon (aluminum) and the other is All-Clad stainless.         

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I favor the lower, wider French- or Belgian-shapped copper pans for jams.  I seem to get better evaporation from them than I do from the higher-sided maslin shape.  To me, that means less time under heat, better color, fresher flavor, especially if you're giving the product more heat in your canner.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a pan with a thick base, or plan on also buying a heat diffuser plate like a Bella Copper.  As the sugar % goes up, so does the danger of scorching.  Thick copper is very expensive.  Disk-bottomed SS maslin pans are quite affordable.  You might try here:  http://www.preserveshop.co.uk/jam-making-equipment/maslin-pans

Edited by boilsover (log)

DSC00444.jpg

Here is my copper jam pot in action.  It holds 5 lbs of fruit.  It makes wonderful jam.  So fresh tasting because of the short boiling time.  No pectin required.  Yes it was expensive, around $325 Cdn but if you make a lot of jam it is a dream.  I bought some copper cleaner in paste form which makes cleaning the pan is very easy.  I should say it is a big pot so I clean it in my large dog bath.  I clean it as soon as I am finished using as I do with all my copper pots.  

I think you can use the stainless steel maslin pans for jams and jellies and they are much easier to maintain and can also be used with high acid foods also much cheaper.

Well, yes, obviously you can use stainless.  Copper confectionary pans are quite easy to maintain.  And such uncoated pans are great for "high acid" fruit jams--have been for hundreds of years.

attachicon.gifDSC00444.jpg

Here is my copper jam pot in action.  It holds 5 lbs of fruit.  It makes wonderful jam.  So fresh tasting because of the short boiling time.  No pectin required.  Yes it was expensive, around $325 Cdn but if you make a lot of jam it is a dream.  I bought some copper cleaner in paste form which makes cleaning the pan is very easy.  I should say it is a big pot so I clean it in my large dog bath.  I clean it as soon as I am finished using as I do with all my copper pots.  

Beautiful copper preserving pot Okanagancook! How many quarts does it hold?  P.S. I have that kitchen timer too!

Curls, it is a 15 quart beauty, here:  http://www.creativecookware.com/15-Qrt-Mauviel-Copper-Jam-Pan-P120C285.aspx

But 5 lbs of fruit with the sugar work perfectly.   Hardly any splatter.

I love my timer :-), although drinking wine while using it to time four things can be a bit of a challenge!

• Like 1