• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beets in baked goods?

rlibkind

Just saw a recipe from a farmers market in which beets are used in brownies. Anyone have experience using beets baked goods? This sounds intriguing. Color and sugars from beets (cooked and puréed first) sounds like it might work.

The beets apparently replace the butter/fat, otherwise not a radical brownie recipe .

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

My friend makes a lovely carrotcake with beets only since she is allergic to carrots. I love it, it taste lovely and she just used the same recipe as a normal carrot cake.

I also uses  beets in  bread.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Oh yes, I have used beets. There are several recipes floating around that make a chocolate cake using beets. Nigel Slater has one, and there's one on The Vanilla Bean blog that I have never made but that sounds great. I make a root vegetable cake that uses a "whatever you have in the fridge" philosophy: a combo of grated beet, carrot and sweet potato or yam. It's about the healthiest great-tasting cake you can make, and also uses oil instead of butter plus some applesauce. I also have made a cake that uses a surprising amount of butternut squash and another that uses Japanese yam. Then there are some versions of Red Velvet cake that use beets instead of food coloring. Never tried that either. 

I've made Slater's beet cake and I was quite pleased with the results.  I think he has more than one beet cake recipe however.  This was the one with poppy seeds.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Over the years I've seen a number of unlikely supplemtents used in Cakes and baked goods.  Puree of green tomatoes, puree of beets, apple sauce,  spun apricot baby food, and the like used for special purposes.  One such special purpose is for producing baked goods for Funeral Wakes where the cake starts out dry but increasingly absorbs moisture from the air thus not drying out before it is consumed. Such items sit on concourse tables as ready foods when sympathy calls are being made and would leave conventional baked goods vulnerable to drying out quickly.   There are many methods for accomplishing different objectives

with the food products we create..

From a Better Homes web site page:

Source:http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/baking/my-cakes-turn-out-dry-how-do-i-make-a-moist-cake/

The moist texture of cakes comes from the ingredients used, the method of preparation, and the baking time and temperature.

-Make sure to follow the recipes, using the ingredients called for. Some cakes use milk, buttermilk, or sour cream for liquid. They all are appropriate for different types of cakes. Some cakes use vegetable oil, butter, or shortening for the fat. Again, they all are appropriate for different cake types. Make sure to use real butter and not a substitute when butter is called for, as substitutes contain water, which will not give the same tender crumb as the fat from the butter.

-Make sure to follow the preparation steps in the recipe, following all beating times given. Some cakes are beaten with a mixer and some are stirred together. These will produce different cake textures, but both are appropriate for different cake types.

-Make sure to bake according to the time and temperature given in the recipe. Overbaking will cause a dry cake.

One group of Southern Women have collectively published Cook Books with some comical insights.  They go by the name

"The Sweet Potato Queens" and are kind of a "Red Hat Ladies" group.  I know them best for their "Death Recipes" which are

purpose designed for Funeral events, wakes, and the like.  Some may see these as "gimicks" or "trick recipes" but they understand the social implications of such affairs and have created recipes to address them.  For a caterer to have a portfolio of recipes ike these will surely keep them well positioned in their communities minds.

The use of Beets with Chocolate is a very good partnership.  I've noticed the moisture and quality of crumb in these cakes that I've tasted.  I've also tried them with such additives as powdered Cool Whip or Pudding mixes added to them.

This is fascinating. One thing we notice about the root vegetable cake I make is that it can sit out for several days (draped in cling-wrap) and get neither dry nor gummy. It disappears before it needs to be refrigerated usually. I love the term "death recipes."

Here are a couple links to  "Chocolate Beet Cake" from BBC media and one for Green Tomato & Beer Chocolate Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.

I have these recipes on my list to make and try but as yet haven't proofed these recipes.

BBC  Beetroot Chocolate Cake:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beetroot_chocolate_cake_82388

Chow com  Green Tomato & Beer Chocolate Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29926-green-tomatoes-and-beer-chocolate-cake

Another chocolate frosting I see posted that is intriguing is "Chocolate Avocado Frosting"  Made iin the food processer.

http://www.coffeeandquinoa.com/2014/03/fudgy-chocolate-beet-cake-with-chocolate-avocado-frosting-vegan-and-gf/

Although Avocados are high in calories, they are also high in the good monounsaturated fats.  The Smooth Caribbean Avocados

are about half as high in flavor and fats as the Calafornia Hass variety..

A handy site about Avocodos if you want to use them for their fat content in baked goods and confections:

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/10/18/know-your-avocado-varieties-and-when-theyre-season

I make beetroot brownies sometimes - usually as a healthy alternative! Here is my recipe: www.cookscook.co.uk/raw-cacao-beetroot-pecan-brownies/

Definitely not as tasty as the usual brownies, but this recipe is a good option if you're trying to watch the calories/be healthy. 

Edited by Sophie Cook (log)

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk