• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegrante Molasses: Is there a substitute?

Shel_B

Pomegranate ... Subject says it all.  I have a couple of salad recipes that call for the ingredient and I may not have enough time track it down before the weekend, which is when I'd like to use it.

If I have time to search for it, what's a good commercial brand?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I find it to be quite unique; particularly in a salad where it stands out. Though it should be readily available in any market with Middle Eastern tendencies or even in large chain groceries, you could make your own with a recipe like this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pomegranate-syrup-or-molasses-recipe.html 

• Like 1

Berkeley Bowl might have it

there are at least 1/2 doz brands in my middle eastern stores.  i like the ones that do not have a grainy-ess on the top rim,

where the molasses end.   this is something easier to see than write about.

I find it to be quite unique; particularly in a salad where it stands out. Though it should be readily available in any market with Middle Eastern tendencies or even in large chain groceries, you could make your own with a recipe like this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pomegranate-syrup-or-molasses-recipe.html 

It might be easier and quicker to find pomegranate juice than the actual molasses.  No need to go across town to the appropriate markets.  Thanks!

... Shel

Berkeley Bowl might have it

there are at least 1/2 doz brands in my middle eastern stores.  i like the ones that do not have a grainy-ess on the top rim,

where the molasses end.   this is something easier to see than write about.

I know many places that carry it, but I may not have time to head across two towns to get it.  Might be difficult to find in the stores along my regular route.

... Shel

I would just omit it or substitute another sweetener like honey mixed with a little lemon juice for tartness.

Or as Heidi says, make your own. Pomegranate juice should be available at some place like a Safeway if there are any in your neck of the woods.

I would just omit it or substitute another sweetener like honey mixed with a little lemon juice for tartness.Or as Heidi says, make your own. Pomegranate juice should be available at some place like a Safeway if there are any in your neck of the woods.

This is probably a good start. Pom brand pomegranate juice should be easy to find in your grocery stores, and you can start from there.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown