• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SobaAddict70's San Francisco Saga

SobaAddict70

I'm interested in hearing if you have any recs for Filipino and Vietnamese food in SF.

For Vietnamese, Little Saigon, just west of the Tenderloin is your best bet. Saigon Sandwiches for Banh Mi, Turtle Tower of Pho Tan Hoa for Pho. Pagolac has their signature 7 flavors of beef for dinner that's also very popular. Outside of Little Saigon, Slanted Door & Out the Door in the Ferry Terminal for Charlie Phan's upscale modern take, Tin in SOMA and Mau in the Mission are excellent slightly modernized restaurants by the same owner. Jasmine Garden in Duboce Triangle is also great.

For Filipino, the wisdom is to visit Daly City, just south of SF for the density of Filipinos. I've not explored that area so I can't give you great recommendations.

PS: I am a guy.

Also, If this is helpful, I just did a Mission Food walking tour last week and this was the itinerary:

Donuts at Dynamo Donuts

Chicaronnes at La Palma

Ice Cream at Humphrey Slocome

Murals at Balmy Alley

Coffee at Philz Coffee

Burrito at El Farolito

Espresso at Ritual

Shopping at the Pirate Store & Paxton's Gate

Chicken Wings at Mission Chinese

Tea Leaf Salad at Yamo

Murals at Clarion Alley

Hot Chocolate at Dandelion Chocolate

Grilled Cheese at Mission Cheese

Knife Shopping at Bernal Cutlery

Croissant at Tartine

Ice Cream at Bi-Rite Ice Cream

Sightseeing at Mission Dolores Church

Duck Larb at Ler Ros Thai

Beer at Monks Kettle

Pourover at Four Barrel

It took us a full day to get through the tour but it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

We went to Tartine and didn't bother taking pix because of the monumental attitude that seeps from its pores.

But the cake we bought sure tasted good. If only they would have cut a slice for B when asked instead of saying "we don't do that". There was a sign that stated just that (that slices were okay), however there was only one such cake left and it was the one on display.  We ended up buying something else iirc.

:rolleyes:

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 1

I have a morning flight tomorrow ... what possessed me to buy those tix six months ago for a flight that early? I think it's something like 8 am. It means I have to get up at the ungodly hour of 4 am and be out the door by 4:30 so I can get to the airport and be past security (I hate waiting in line which is, despite what people will tell you, the unofficial sport of New York City).So much for being able to buy your own food to take it on the plane; I won't have time.More later....

There are some pretty good places for food to go at SFO.

When I get to SFO, I'm probably going to have other things on my mind apart from eating.  Call it a hunch.

But we cannot live on love alone. After that you will still need food!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

But we cannot live on love alone. After that you will still need food!

Hah.

After I get through the mass of people, I'll meet B (I have no luggage apart from my carryon; hobbits travel light) and head over to his place.

But I'm sure we'll stop for a bite to eat along the way.

The plan tomorrow is dinner at Kin Khao, breakfast at a nabe place on Friday (we like Kitchen Story (3499 16th Street (Sanchez St) in the Castro) and ???.

I think there will be a trip to the Ferry Building on Saturday for the farmer's market.  Lots of pix to come.

Soba,

It all sounds delightful. I hope you enjoy every precious moment and yet find time to share with those of us drooling on the sidelines your reports and photos of your food adventures.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

FYI, "Little Saigon" is the neighborhood that comprises Larkin St bordered by Eddy and O'Farrell Sts. The neighborhood has a rough edge to it. I feel fine walking around there during the day. At night, stay aware of your surroundings. Some Thai restaurants are settling in this neighborhood ("Little Bangkok"?), especially on the O'Farrell St. side.

If you go to Dandelion Chocolate on Valencia St in the MIssion, the single source chocolate bars are something special to try. Also, there's an Arizmendi Bakery further down on Valencia St X 24th St, near BART 24th St Station.

You've gotten a lot of recs here, SobaAddict. How long did you say you were going to stay? Three months? :biggrin:

FYI, "Little Saigon" is the neighborhood that comprises Larkin St bordered by Eddy and O'Farrell Sts. The neighborhood has a rough edge to it. I feel fine walking around there during the day. At night, stay aware of your surroundings. Some Thai restaurants are settling in this neighborhood ("Little Bangkok"?), especially on the O'Farrell St. side.

If you go to Dandelion Chocolate on Valencia St in the MIssion, the single source chocolate bars are something special to try. Also, there's an Arizmendi Bakery further down on Valencia St X 24th St, near BART 24th St Station.

You've gotten a lot of recs here, SobaAddict. How long did you say you were going to stay? Three months? :biggrin:

The recs will be for future trips. :wink: I'd say more, but I don't want to jinx things. *mysterious grin*

I'm aware of the Tenderloin's rep. I'm not exactly a stranger to San Francisco; I just haven't mentioned my previous trips prior to meeting B on eG.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

a few more pix...

9673032064_4e9f060bb8_z.jpg

pasta with heirloom tomatoes (I think) and shaved mozzarella

MKT Restaurant

The Four Seasons Hotel

757 Market Street (O'Farrell Street)

it's not a very good pic, but I really adored this dish. I found myself licking the bowl clean (not literally of course, but it was quite good for such a simple prep; California cuisine at its finest).

9673026812_232c8b300d_z.jpg

duck pate salad, peaches, wild greens, Spanish sherry

9673029570_7ef7c779f7_z.jpg

chocolate croquette, figs, balsamic ice cream, chocolate fudge

9673027616_d8a5fdc503_z.jpg

peaches, lemon basil ice cream, cake

14322206640_ba8c1a8866_z.jpg

slow poached egg, caviar, melted endive, wild fennel and blini

14508862295_c490c392ac_z.jpg

roasted lamb loin, eggplant, cranberry beans, roasted figs

the first two pix in this set were on the previous page but I didn't provide a caption for them.

étoile Restaurant

Domaine Chandon Vineyard and Winery

1 California Drive

Yountville

and B is an accomplished cook in his own right (we're a match in a lot of ways :wink:)

14322290569_d9a2da452f_z.jpg

Berry cobbler (blackberries, blueberries and raspberries, brown sugar, butter, AP flour and nutmeg) -- and it's from a Weight Watchers recipe of all things...

14485791406_6aa3fbe082_z.jpg

Bouillabaisse -- it's Paul Bocuse's recipe

No rascasse though, but that's okay. It was perfect.

• Like 3

oh my that cobbler looks perfect.

my fave place in SF is not Filipino or Vietnamese. maybe boring especially if you don't drink (can't remember). it's fish, and very old school, and not Tadich or Swans. I will PM - I've posted about it here often enough before.

• Like 1

14514519424_5e1eab24e4_z.jpg

Green salad, miso dressing

(much better than the usual carrot-ginger dressing you see at many Japanese restaurants)

14515912185_6392ac8c0a_z.jpg

Ramen with braised pork belly

Hamano Sushi

1332 Castro Street (24th Street)

It's pretty basic Japanese -- tempura, sushi, ramen, etc. Lots of fresh ingredients which makes it stand out; I loved it.

• Like 2

Dinner at Kin Khao tonight.

Kin Khao

55 Cyril Magnin St (entrance at corner of Ellis and Mason)

14330959397_96919c68d2_z.jpg

Khao Tung Na Tung -- sweet & savory pork, shrimp and peanut dip served with crisp rice cakes

NV Val de Mer Crémant de Bourgogne Brut Nature Rosé

14330744970_0464cf1110_z.jpg

Sai Ua and Namprik Noom -- grilled house-made Northern Thai pork sausage, cracklings, with darn spicy young pepper relish

14537511853_2a46212400_z.jpg

14514010721_ceb937d85b_z.jpg

Khao Soi Gai -- Northern-style chicken curry broth, egg noodles, pickled mustard greens, and spicy chili oil (on the side.)

14516315192_43fff604a3_z.jpg

I don't remember exactly what this was but it was some kind of rice pudding with sticky black glutinous rice (and not very sweet); counter-clockwise from top left: burnt caramel sauce, coconut cream, pralines.

It's like no Thai food you've ever eaten before. We're definitely returning.

• Like 3

So, many of you have seen my kitchen which I affectionately call my "hobbit hole". But for those of you who haven't, here's another pic:

14278529368_43cb3b7224_z.jpg

It's a room that's roughly 6' x 7'. To the left is a small nook that contains a garbage pail and a window sill atop which has part of my cookbook collection.

On the other hand, THIS is what B's kitchen looks like:

14310515848_3634061b57_z.jpg

14517235243_a0618911d9_z.jpg

It's such a dream to cook in.

He even has a Kitchen-Aid mixer on top of one of the cabinets. (*sigh*)

That microwave is sure taking up a lot of real estate.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14543092343_69ac3ce552_z.jpg

14336520587_a2aa2231d3_z.jpg

Starfish and...???

14521911792_9abb7dbfe8_z.jpg

Bitter melon on top and some kind of squash below???

14336366199_8b45724df7_z.jpg

Anyone have an idea of what this is?

14336317270_f00c690556_z.jpg

Here's the sign behind the whatever it is...

Then we went to a place that B likes for a light dim sum lunch:

New Asia Restaurant

772 Pacific Avenue (Stockton Street)

Chinatown

It was the first time I'd seen a dim sum palace with a band set-up. Supposedly that's for when there are banquets.

14543091893_0cdc3a42e9_z.jpg

Chinese broccoli, with oyster sauce on the side

14336318000_b5a8429904_z.jpg

Roast pork and soybeans

14543091633_a14d6e93b4_z.jpg

Shrimp dumplings

14521910922_a627c92b40_z.jpg

GIANT pork and chive dumplings

• Like 3

This is the Sentinel Building. I love the juxtaposition of old SF and new SF.

14521905612_6c03e29302_z.jpg

14522954115_d0300a7a86_z.jpg

14336312600_268100abe5_z.jpg

We'll probably have lunch or dinner here soon. B says Tadich is one of the last "old-school" restaurants in San Francisco.

Tadich Grill

240 California Street (Battery Street)

Financial District

14336513937_000247759f_z.jpg

14521528594_d731036c27_z.jpg

• Like 2