• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling garlic scapes

Hassouni

Having never cooked them before, I found some garlic scapes on sale yesterday, and picked up a bunch. Planning on grilling all of last night's dinner, I googled "grilling garlic scapes" and saw that it's commonly done. Most of the recipes said "grill over a hot fire [as if fire's not hot??] till charred in spots and soft". I grilled until HEAVILY charred in spots, and even then the majority were not particularly soft and the outer skin remained very hard and nearly inedible, though the interiors of some of the scapes were OK.

What's the right way? Blanch them first? Grill over indirect heat?

It all depends how old your garlic scapes are.

They can at times get very fibrous and tough, especially towards the bottom of the stem.

You could blanch first if that is the case, however; I prefer to grill them on low-med heat (whoever said over a HOT fire was wrong) to ensure they are cooked within and still get a char. 

You could also peal the thicker outer layer, especially towards the bottom, though I have not tried that method.

Having never cooked them before, I found some garlic scapes on sale yesterday, and picked up a bunch. Planning on grilling all of last night's dinner, I googled "grilling garlic scapes" and saw that it's commonly done. Most of the recipes said "grill over a hot fire [as if fire's not hot??] till charred in spots and soft". I grilled until HEAVILY charred in spots, and even then the majority were not particularly soft and the outer skin remained very hard and nearly inedible, though the interiors of some of the scapes were OK.

What's the right way? Blanch them first? Grill over indirect heat?

They were too old.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Excuse my ignorance, but what are garlic scapes?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are garlic scapes?

Garlic scapes are the flower spikes (scapes) of hardneck garlic plants. They need to be removed from the plant in order to encourage the bulbs - that is, the garlic - to develop.

I agree with the above commenters who said that they were too old. As with most things in the plant kingdom younger = more tender. Just cook them slower, and they should soften up nicely.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I agree that blanching would help older scapes - like asparagus, checking at the bottom can sometimes tell you how long ago they were cut, or how fibrous they may be. When I cook them, I usually sauté with oil and salt; or throw them into a green curry (cut down) in place of snake beans. I've had problems with old scapes before when I've bought them in Farmer's markets in Canada - I think the growers may have been offering them as a by-product? In markets in China, I think they're grown as a crop  - the ones I buy here are never old or woody. I'm not sure where you picked yours up, but this may be an issue with the ones you had.

Garlic scapes are the flower spikes (scapes) of hardneck garlic plants. They need to be removed from the plant in order to encourage the bulbs - that is, the garlic - to develop.

Ah, thanks for that - learnt something new today. We just call them garlic flower stalks, but you do not find them for sale in the markets or shops here and I have never thought of cooking any from the few garlic plants that I have grown. I have just put them in the compost heap!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I live next more or less next door to a middle school in China. Every evening the kids have evening class and a few street vendors roll up to tempt them. One is the grill man. He charcoal grills chicken wings, legs, bits you don't want to think about, alongside lamb (mutton) skewers, pig's intestines, duck's hearts etc. I don't often frequent his operation, but occasionally. He has been there for about ten years, so we know each other in that casual way you 'know' your local corner shop people.

I asked him recently what was his biggest selling item.

He didn't hesitate. Grilled garlic shoots / scapes. The kids can't get enough.

But yes, they have to be young. Very young. The garlic, not the kids. Well both, actually. I need to lie down!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto