• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kirk9000

kirk9000

On 1/29/2018 at 3:21 PM, gibbs said:

I have to disagree with you on the hard to access aspect of the errata as one only has to type "modernist cuisine errata" into google and the top result is there errata page. They also offer a pdf version to allow it to be easily printed.   As for fixing the issue for existing customers, you could look at the fact that they have offered an errata. Others have not, for example, the Alinea cookbook while has admittedly fewer errors as far as I am aware no official errata was released.

I can also comment that they did actually act on the errors found I held off buying my copy for a while so I could save up for it resulting in my copy being one of the sixth printings and going through it tonight with the errata in the first 3 books at the very least the issues they had found had been corrected. This ultimately why I cancelled my preorder for modernist bread as I'm willing to wait for any errors found to be corrected.

There is a reason why it is often said to avoid the first of something.

So every time you read a page in the book you cross reference it to the errata PDF?  Again, you hit the nail on the head - at least the original Modernist Cuisine had hundreds of material errors.  Alinea did not.

kirk9000

kirk9000

On 1/29/2018 at 3:21 PM, gibbs said:

I have to disagree with you on the hard to access aspect of the errata as one only has to type "modernist cuisine errata" into google and the top result is there errata page. They also offer a pdf version to allow it to be easily printed.   As for fixing the issue for existing customers, you could look at the fact that they have offered an errata. Others have not, for example, the Alinea cookbook while has admittedly fewer errors as far as I am aware no official errata was released.

I can also comment that they did actually act on the errors found I held off buying my copy for a while so I could save up for it resulting in my copy being one of the sixth printings and going through it tonight with the errata in the first 3 books at the very least the issues they had found had been corrected. This ultimately why I cancelled my preorder for modernist bread as I'm willing to wait for any errors found to be corrected.

There is a reason why it is often said to avoid the first of something.

So every time you read a page in the book you cross reference it to the errata PDF?