• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Seattlites want to buy bulk together?

I would be interested. Especially if someone has a chamber vac and would be willing to reseal the ingredients (especially Activa, although its oxygen sensitivity poses an issue for repackaging) in smaller single-use size packs. I would be happy to lend a hand filling and sealing small packets, but do not have a chamber vac yet.

Otherwise, I find things like Activa turn in to a brick quickly if not resealed properly. I suppose I should ask elsewhere for storage tricks for ingredients.

I would be interested. Especially if someone has a chamber vac and would be willing to reseal the ingredients (especially Activa, although its oxygen sensitivity poses an issue for repackaging) in smaller single-use size packs. I would be happy to lend a hand filling and sealing small packets, but do not have a chamber vac yet.

Otherwise, I find things like Activa turn in to a brick quickly if not resealed properly. I suppose I should ask elsewhere for storage tricks for ingredients.

And is massively price gouging people for it. Yikes! Activa RM: 1kg = $82.99, so 8 cents per gram. 50 gram packet = $12.99, so 25 cents per gram. Markup is 300%. I understand there is more labor involved, but that is a huge markup. Plus, 50g is a LOT of meat still (12-15lb meat). Be nice to get it in 10g packets (2lb) or maybe 20g.

Good idea on using a whipping siphon to purge. Be nice to get something heavier than air though, purge the chamber vac, then seal multiple packages at once. Could preseal a larger pack into multiple smaller packs, fill those in a purged container, then run the sealer. Then again, it might just cost that much in markup due to the cost of purging everything.

What I do not know is how oxygen sensitive Activa really is. If it can stand a few minutes, we would be fine. Here is someone who used resealed Activa without issue: http://blog4foodies.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/reconstructed-atlantic-wolffish-using-transglutaminase-aka-meat-glue/

I suppose we could experiment: buy once, repackage it, and see what happens.

And is massively price gouging people for it. Yikes! Activa RM: 1kg = $82.99, so 8 cents per gram. 50 gram packet = $12.99, so 25 cents per gram. Markup is 300%. I understand there is more labor involved, but that is a huge markup. Plus, 50g is a LOT of meat still (12-15lb meat). Be nice to get it in 10g packets (2lb) or maybe 20g.

Good idea on using a whipping siphon to purge. Be nice to get something heavier than air though, purge the chamber vac, then seal multiple packages at once. Could preseal a larger pack into multiple smaller packs, fill those in a purged container, then run the sealer. Then again, it might just cost that much in markup due to the cost of purging everything.

What I do not know is how oxygen sensitive Activa really is. If it can stand a few minutes, we would be fine. Here is someone who used resealed Activa without issue: http://blog4foodies.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/reconstructed-atlantic-wolffish-using-transglutaminase-aka-meat-glue/

I suppose we could experiment: buy once, repackage it, and see what happens.