• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you @NWKate it was a beautiful story.

Seems about half the authorities say to add the butter first and half say to add the milk or cream before the butter.  All with their good reasons!  Then some say red potatoes and some say Idaho potatoes.  I go back and forth, hoping for enlightenment.

But I'm with your grandmother all the way on the hand mashing part!

I add cream and then mash. Yukon Golds for me.

I contend that they have better flavor and never taste like dirt as some russets do.

I use a masher because the ricer is in the back of a drawer. It starts out in front, but sneaks back at night.

gfweb

gfweb

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you @NWKate it was a beautiful story.

Seems about half the authorities say to add the butter first and half say to add the milk or cream before the butter.  All with their good reasons!  Then some say red potatoes and some say Idaho potatoes.  I go back and forth, hoping for enlightenment.

But I'm with your grandmother all the way on the hand mashing part!

I add cream and then mash. Yukon Golds for me.

I contend that they have better flavor and never taste like dirt as some russets do.