• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mimosas for Mother's Day

Shel_B

Mother's Day is coming up, and we're probably going to have a brunch.  Toots, and her daughter, like mimosas, and this year I thought about making some for the brunch.  All I know about the drink is that it's a blend of Champagne or other sparkling wine and orange juice.  A Google check suggests other ingredients are sometimes used.  Being pretty much abstemious, I don't know much about making these drinks.  So, what are some great mimosa recipes.

FWIW, we have a bottle of what seems to be good quality proseco that we were given for Christmas, and I'd like to use that if possible.  Thanks!

... Shel

I usually follow Gary Regan's formula:

1/2 oz triple sec (use a good one, like Cointreau)

1-1/2 oz fresh orange juice

3-1/2 oz sparkling wine

Garnish with an orange slice. And don't forget to strain the OJ, or the wine will bring bits of pulp to the top of the drink; it's not very attractive.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

From driest to sweetest, the wine will be either brut, extra dry, dry or demi-sec; most modern Prosecco is on the dry end of the range.

That's helpful - thanks!

... Shel

Not exactly mimosas, but a variety of prosecco cocktails used to be on the brunch menu at Estate restaurant in Sonoma.

When hosting brunch, I like to put out the champagne flutes, a few fruit juices, liqueurs, prosecco, sparkling water and fresh fruit garnishes and let folks mix their own.  It allows people to choose as much or little alcohol as they wish.

Sometimes, I've printed out a "menu" of recipes and put it on the buffet table.

• 1 month later...

Meant to get back to you ... I followed Dave the Cook's suggestion to use

Gary Regan's formula:

1/2 oz triple sec (use a good one, like Cointreau)

1-1/2 oz fresh orange juice

3-1/2 oz sparkling wine

Garnished with orange slices.

Toots felt I was making too big a deal of the process, but everyone at the brunch, including Toots, felt that these were the best mimosas they'd ever had.  What a difference between these and the usual mixture of some mediocre champagne and bottled OJ.

I want to thank y'all for the suggestions.

... Shel