• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Palm Oil: what to do with it?

Smithy

Behold my latest impulse purchase at the grocery store!

IMG_20140407_151135.jpg

I've never seen it before. The red color was interesting and appealing. The label claims no trans fats and no hexane. (I wouldn't have thought of hexane in food, and still don't quite know what to make of that claim.) It looks like the kind of fat that might work for frying - an issue of some research and contention around our household.

Now that I have red palm oil, what do I do with it? I'm starting to dabble in Indian and Southeast Asian cookery a little; should I save it for those, or just open the jar and let 'er rip with some chunks of chicken in a skillet? Does anyone have any suggestions, precautions or advice for me?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Never seen it, Nancy.  Does it have a smell/taste?  That might guide your choice of things to cook with it.

I note the label says sautéeing, so go for it with the skillet.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I haven't opened it yet, since our cooking plans are set for the next several days with various treatments of fresh seafood. When I open it I'll report back on the texture and odor.

That label makes a pretty attractive case for skillets and meat, doesn't it? I think that was one of the things that attracted me. :-)

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

FYI, this is predominantly an ingredient in West African cuisine, where it is used both as a general cooking fat and as the main flavoring of things like Palm Oil Chop.  A similar product, dendé oil, is used in Brazil, e.g., in Vatapá.  FWIW, I've tried many varieties of both over the years and one you got is the best I've found so far.

• Like 1

Googling suggests it's by no means a neutral oil! Comments suggest it is an acquired taste. Let us know.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree about the taste -- first time I used it was to saute non-breaded fish filets, and the flavor really got to, uh, shine through.  I plan on using the rest of my Nutiva in much heartier stews and such.

You can read more about the health qualities and food applications over at Mark's Daily Apple.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

"Palm oil is extracted from the pulp of the fruit of the oil palm, and palm kernel oil from its seed. Palm oil has a reddish color due to its high beta-carotene content. Originally from western African countries, it has now expanded into Southeast Asia and has the lowest production cost of all major oils, making it an attractive export crop. Since 2006, Malaysia has the world’s largest oil palm plantation. Whilst free of cholesterol itself, because it is a saturated fat that solidifies at room temperature, it increases the body’s production of cholesterol. Its low cost makes it the base for Sunlight and Palmolive brand soaps and an everyday cooking oil in tropical Africa and Southeast Asia. Palm oil is high in nutrients, is monounsaturated, and, in its reddish form, adds natural color to fried foods such as potato. The red oil is refined, bleached, and deodorized for domestic use."

Extract from, 'Alchemy of the Mortar & Pestle', Vol.1 of The Culinary Library. D & P Gramp, 2012.

• Like 1

I eat with it quite frequently. It has its own taste, very distinctive. I love using it for omelettes, particularly when I add scallions. It is fantastic with potatoes, such as in hash. Somebody might have mentioned it, but it is an indispensable ingredient in red-red stew. Even in lentils it is very good.

"Palm oil is extracted from the pulp of the fruit of the oil palm, and palm kernel oil from its seed. Palm oil has a reddish color due to its high beta-carotene content. Originally from western African countries, it has now expanded into Southeast Asia and has the lowest production cost of all major oils, making it an attractive export crop. Since 2006, Malaysia has the world’s largest oil palm plantation. Whilst free of cholesterol itself, because it is a saturated fat that solidifies at room temperature, it increases the body’s production of cholesterol. Its low cost makes it the base for Sunlight and Palmolive brand soaps and an everyday cooking oil in tropical Africa and Southeast Asia. Palm oil is high in nutrients, is monounsaturated, and, in its reddish form, adds natural color to fried foods such as potato. The red oil is refined, bleached, and deodorized for domestic use."

Extract from, 'Alchemy of the Mortar & Pestle', Vol.1 of The Culinary Library. D & P Gramp, 2012.

I won't use palm oil because to me it has an unpleasant flavor and when I did buy it, well within the "sell-by" date, one jar was horribly rancid when opened - my entire kitchen stank.   (Also for other reasons but will not comment here.)

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I opened it, sniffed, tasted, and cooked my first dish with it. This must be a mild example, based on some of the posts above. I'd say it doesn't smell fruity or grassy like olive oil, and it doesn't smell like walnut oil or almond oil, but it also isn't neutral like, say, grape seed oil. It feels more heavily oily than most cooking oils I use.

I used it as the base oil for a roux in a Cajun-style bean dish: started with a roux, threw in the chopped onions, celery and peppers, added chicken broth, the last of some Rancho Gordo beans (borlotti and marrow) that I had lying around, some heavily spiced smoked sausage and no doubt some additional seasonings. Many hours later, the stew was done and it was good.

Based on this recipe I certainly didn't see anything wrong with the red palm oil. I couldn't tell whether it added anything, either, although I liked its red color. More experimentation is in order.