• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIY Bourbon 'Barrel' Aged Maple Syrup

Kerry Beal

I've been playing with microwave aging of corn/wheat/malted barley white dog to make ersatz bourbon - leaving me with all sort of nice bourbon soaked Jack Daniels chips.  

IMG_1143.jpg

I happened to notice some of Max Burt's excellent Manitoulin maple syrup I had tucked away - and decided that I could make my own imitation of BLiS Bourbon Barrel aged maple syrup.  Took a couple of Tea-Sac tea bags, filled them with chips, immersed them in the bottles and nuked 3 times over a 3 day period.  Heated to about 60º C, capped while still hot.  

IMG_1141.jpg

If you remove the tea bags while hot they drain quite nicely.  

Ongoing experimentation involves the cheap version - a syrup made with half as much water by weight as sugar, enough natural maple flavoring to make it taste right - then aged with a couple of bags of bourbon chips.  

Next experiment - Bourbon 'Barrel' aged fish sauce?

• Like 1

Cool experiment. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. How long do you plan to age it?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It actually only get's the 3 days of heating and cooling.  So the batch that I made with 'real' maple syrup is done and yummy - and the 'fake maple' will be done today.  Tasted it last night and it tastes pretty fabulous too.