• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Chicken Brands

Pam R

I'm curious to know what kosher chicken brands are available out there. I'm in Canada and last year our big kosher chicken plant shut down and we now have one company left servicing the whole country (as far as I know).

So I guess I'm interested in what's available everywhere, but specifically, am I missing anything in Canada and what's going on in the USA? What's available?

Edited by Pam R
typo (log)

Empire is the brand I'm most familiar with here in the San Francisco area. I understand the Whole Foods has recently started carrying Kosher Valley, part of the Hain Celestial group.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Empire seems to dominate the market here in the Northeast, and it's what I buy. They have organic and "regular." Whole Foods carries (or used to carry, I don't know any more) a brand of kosher, organic, antibiotic-free, whatever (I don't know all the catch-words) which I bought once. I bought skinless, boneless chicken breasts. They were definitely better than Empire -- meatier, tastier, the works. They were also about twice the price, and Empire isn't cheap. Fairway Market used to carry Empire, but now they seem to carry their own brand only. The whole chickens are dry and dull, no matter what you do with them (or at least no matter what I do with them), so I went back to Empire. I'd be interested in knowing about other options. What do you have in Canada?