• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good internal temperature for a baked salmon loaf?

Shel_B

I made one today and it got up to about 165° F, and that seemed a little high as the salmon was somewhat dry. Does 150° seem about right, or maybe even a bit lower? Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I suppose it depends on how you like your salmon -- what other ingredients are in the loaf? I like my salmon rather under cooked, so I like the 120ish range -- but that is not for loaf -- 145 is the suggested FDA number, so anything moderately under that would probably be good.

Is the loaf the dish you refer to in this post? http://forums.egullet.org/topic/139557-breville-smart-oven/page-5?p=1949136#entry1949136

If so the salmon is already cooked so isn't it just a matter of the binding ingredients being set up to your liking?

Yes, that's the one. The result would be to get the eggs to set up and hold the loaf, and have the dish warm enough to be enjoyable to eat but not too dry or overcooked. Maybe I should be thinking about the temp eggs need to set up, as in a frittata. The other consideration is to have the onions (in this case leeks) be cooked enough not to have a raw taste, but that can also be accomplished by sautéing the onions/leeks a bit before adding them to the loaf.

• Like 1

... Shel

as mentioned, you want the 'binder' to set up.

try 130. and take it to that temp gently.

are you using the BV-Puppy ?

( come on, its a joke ! )

how low does that model go for temps?

use the lowest they have and then Thermapen the loaf as you go

and keep track of the results.

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)

WaterBath?

I have an Auber remote sensor, that I plug into my roaster, and get a stable temp! Maybe that way you could set the water bath @ 135-140 and cook it. To me that might keep it from drying out too.

Cheers

Its good to have Morels

WaterBath?

I have an Auber remote sensor, that I plug into my roaster, and get a stable temp! Maybe that way you could set the water bath @ 135-140 and cook it. To me that might keep it from drying out too.

I appreciate the thought, however, I have no water bath, no Auber sensors, and have no plan to get or use anything like that.

... Shel

as mentioned, you want the 'binder' to set up.

try 130. and take it to that temp gently.

are you using the BV-Puppy ?

( come on, its a joke ! )

how low does that model go for temps?

use the lowest they have and then Thermapen the loaf as you go

and keep track of the results.

:biggrin:

I'll have to look at the Breville or the manual to determine the lowest settings. but I think your idea has merit. I've no Thermapen, and no plans to get one in the immediate or near future, but I can easily work around that shortcoming. But first I have to housebreak that puppy! :raz:

ETA: OK, I looked at the manual and it says the lowest temperature is 120° - F. So your idea might very well work. In addition, just having had some of the salmon cake for dinner, the center of the cake was moist and flavorful, so it seems the higher heat I used didn't get all the way through the salmon cake, it just overcooked the outer area. Using lower heat for a longer time may very well do the trick!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel