• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is There a Way to Measure Appliance Electricity Use?

Shel_B

Is there some way to measure the amount of electricity that an appliance uses by adding something to the line - something that plugs into the socket and then the appliance plug will plug into that, or some similar device? Thanks!

... Shel

That's not the info I'm looking for. I want to measure actual use while the appliance is running, i.e., how much juice the fridge uses when it cycles on, how much the toaster uses when it's toasting, etc. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

... Shel

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Our library has a kill-a-watt to lend out. No need to buy a unit if you are going to use it only occasionally. Very easy to use.

Definitely worth looking into. Thanks!

... Shel