• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Typo

12 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

These cans weren't ancient, but they weren't recent either. 

Years ago I was under the impression that canned food would last until the apocalypse. I was disabused of this notion when I opened a can of whole beets to discover that they were almost white. I also had a can of pears that sprang a leak. That's not to even mention the condensed milk that had become almost DDL. At least now our canned goods are stamped with a best before date. 

Anna N

Anna N

8 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

These cans weren't ancient, but they weren't recent either. 

Years ago I was under the impression that canned food would last until the apocalypse. I was disabused of this notion when I opened a can of whole beets to discover that they were almost white. I also had a can of pears that sprang a leak. That's not to even mention the condensed milk that had become almost DDL. At least no our canned goods are stamped with a best before date.