• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes, not sealing.  My first batch this year did great.  All six sealed perfectly.  The next batches had at least two fail.  SO frustrating.  And yes.  Just tomatoes.  

Personally, I think there's an industry wide issue with the lids.  Lots of pissed off canners.  First there's still a shortage and huge price increases due to shortage, and lots of issues with not sealing under "normal processing".  It may be the pressure canning is pushing the limits of the current lids.  Water bath may be within the tolerance of the current lids.   Also, big issues with counterfeit lids off Amazon (Amazon Marketplace sellers mostly).  

Conjecture is there's been a change to the seal element, or the lids are stamped just out of normal tolerance.   Personally, I think something changed in the seal element manufacture.

Probably all related to supply chain base materials issues, which I hear dozens of times a day for everything work related now.

lemniscate

lemniscate

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes, not sealing.  My first batch this year did great.  All six sealed perfectly.  The next batches had at least two fail.  SO frustrating.  And yes.  Just tomatoes.  

Personally, I think there's an industry wide issue with the lids.  Lots of pissed off canners.  First there's still a shortage and huge price increases due to shortage, and lots of issues with not sealing under "normal processing".  It may be the pressure canning is pushing the limits of the current lids to the limits.  Water bath may be within the tolerance of the current lids.   Also, big issues with counterfeit lids off Amazon (Amazon Marketplace sellers mostly).  

Conjecture is there's been a change to the seal element, or the lids are stamped just out of normal tolerance.   Personally, I think something changed in the seal element manufacture.

Probably all related to supply chain base materials issues, which I hear dozens of times a day for everything work related now.