• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

On 9/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, ElsieD said:

Earlier this week John went to the grocery store to pick up corn which was an advertised special, 10 for $1.59. Alas they had none so he got a rain check for 20 cobs which we picked up yesterday.   While picking out 20 cobs, he sprightly said " I'll help you husk". Me, suppressing the dread in my voice, "what a great idea! We'll do it on the balcony so as not to mess up the kitchen".  I should explain that he has one speed - fast.  Which means corn gets husked quickly, and the silk and husk goes hither and yon.  Hence the balcony.  I put a garbage bag inside another bag, got a roasting pan to put the shucked corn in and we went to work.  The first cob he shucked, the silk landed on the balcony.  I picked it up and because I am a woman, felt the need to comment.  Not a wise idea.  He did about 2 cobs to my one.  I picked up a lot if husk and silk from the balcony floor..  When finished, he carted the roasting pan into the apt. and tracked a bunch of the silk threads in with him.  We just had the place cleaned. yesterday.  I spent 20 minutes pulling the last of the silk from the husked corn. I love him dearly but I doubt we will be husking corn together any time soon, anywhere.

What’s your point?😀

gfweb

gfweb

On 9/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, ElsieD said:

Earlier this week John went to the grocery store to pick up corn which was an advertised special, 10 for $1.59. Alas they had none so he got a rain check for 20 cobs which we picked up yesterday.   While picking out 20 cobs, he sprightly said " I'll help you husk". Me, suppressing the dread in my voice, "what a great idea! We'll do it on the balcony so as not to mess up the kitchen".  I should explain that he has one speed - fast.  Which means corn gets husked quickly, and the silk and husk goes hither and yon.  Hence the balcony.  I put a garbage bag inside another bag, got a roasting pan to put the shucked corn in and we went to work.  The first cob he shucked, the silk landed on the balcony.  I picked it up and because I am a woman, felt the need to comment.  Not a wise idea.  He did about 2 cobs to my one.  I picked up a lot if husk and silk from the balcony floor..  When finished, he carted the roasting pan into the apt. and tracked a bunch of the silk threads in with him.  We just had the place cleaned. yesterday.  I spent 20 minutes pulling the last of the silk from the husked corn. I love him dearly but I doubt we will be husking corn together any time soon, anywhere.

What’s your point?