• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicata squash

heidih

Delicata squash has been popping up around the internet the last couple years. After seeing a recent post at 101 Cookbooks coupled with seeing them at Trader Joes for 99 cents I decided to give it a go.This is the other Heidi's recipe http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/roasted-squash-chile-and-mozzarella-salad-recipe.html. I went with slice into 1/2 inch half moon slices tossed with olive oil, salt, and lots of pepper set on fresh thyme branches and sage leaves. 400 degrees and turned to brown both sides. Very enjoyable. I just after midnight snacked some leftovers from the fridge. Do you enjoy this little guy?

Delicata squash is good.

I love it simply roasted with some fresh chopped rosemary, olive oil and salt and pepper.

The cultivar Honey Boat is very good but Candystick is even better with a flavor somewhat reminiscent of medjool dates.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I've been enjoying Delicata for years. It's showing up in the local farmers' markets, and Toots and I are very happy. Of course, we both like a variety of squash, and this is the season for our biggest "squash smiles." HeidiH, I like your technique for prep. Will try that this week.

That cookbook looks pretty good, too.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Cut into rings (or semicircles so the cleaning can be done first), tossed with a little olive oil, seared in a hot pan then cooked to softness with garlic, maybe some onion, maybe chunks of our bratwurst du jour. Maybe served with rice or pasta. The possibilities are varied and good. I love the fact that the delicata skin is edible.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I bought one at TJ's last week also...haven't cooked it yet. But enjoyed some from the hot veggie/prepared food bar at Wegmans which had been roasted off along with red onion and sage.

Planning on roasting mine and mixing with some cooked grains, dried fruit, and maybe some feta for a lunch salad.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This is a wonderful fall soup! I used buttercup squash, because that is what I had on hand. Roasting the squash gives the soup a nutty, full bodied flavor. I had to roast the squash for about a full hour because the buttercup is larger than delicate, of course. I adjusted the ratio of broth and cream slightly based on my amount of squash, 2 buttercup squash, 2 cups broth, and 1 cup cream. It turned out perfect. Pureeing the soup at the end makes it so frothy and light tasting. It was a huge hit with our dinner guests! Add a couple little sprigs of fresh chives on top when serving for an elegant presentation. I will definitely make this again. It was so simple and delicious!

• 4 weeks later...

update on my delicata squash...cut it in slices about 1/2" thick, cut a small onion into half and sliced a little thinner than the squash (so onion slices around same size as squash) and roasted at 425 degrees for 40 minutes (turned the pieces over after 20 minutes) on parchment-lined sheet pan. Just olive oil, salt/pepper. The onion caramelized without burning, nice sweet flavor to complement the squash.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde