• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve in NJ?

Rosie

Epernay is one of my favorite restaurants and they will have a gorgeous ten course tasting menu for New Year's Eve. They will be serving a champagne toast followed by roasted Blue Point oyster with creamed spinach and osetra caviar; tuna tartare with fennel and Granny Smith apple salad; lobster pot pie; seared foie gras, grapes, spouts and sauterne; pan seared turbot with porcini mushroom, pearl onions, and red wine sauce; black truffle risotto; rack of Colorado lamb with mashed Yukon potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, and baby carrots; Montbriac cheese with baby beet with mache salad; chilled pineapple ginger soup; warm chocolate cake with caramel ice cream; truffles; and coffee or tea. BYO.

Be sure to give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie, hate to be a pain in the a** about this but how can they have a champagne toast without a liquor license. What happens if someone gets into a accident after being there and they say they had champagne provided by Epernay ( After they have 3 bottles of vino between the two of them)? This really gets my goad.

Lou--You are allowed to be a pain in the ass as you are so gracious about it! :raz:

If they are not charging for the champagne toast then it's ok. Or there is champagne at the restaurant and each customer serves themself.

I don't know. It's New Year's Eve. Many BYO's serve a complimentary glass of champagne. ONE glass Lou! Don't be a pain in the ass. :shock:

Have a Happy New Year. Love ya! :wub:

Rosie

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

If they are not charging for the champagne toast then it's ok. Or there is champagne at the restaurant and each customer serves themself.

This sounds shaky to me. I'd suspect the restaurant would want to consult the policy limits on its insurance before putting out the bottles.

If the restaurant isn't insured against damages, it would be tough to defend against a diner who caused an accident later, even if she "only had one drink."

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

We dined at Nicholas in Middletown last night. This is truly a superb restaurant in every sense and our evening was flawless. We sat at the early seating (6:30) and the place was full. That didn't seem to make a difference as the seating is spacious and the service was top notch. It was $75 pp for a 5 course meal, very reasonable for NY Eve. I think the later seating was considerably more expensive, but you got free hats, whooppee :)). We started out with a small portion of tuna tartare (no choice), not one of my favorite dishes, but this was an exception. For the appetizer I had the foie gras & duck consomme and Anabelle had lobster bisque. I had the braised suckling pig for the entree -- you ain't tasted pig until you've tried this dish. 2 desserts followed, a tiny prailine ice cream cone followed by a choice off their regular menu. The chocolate souffle was the best I ever had.

Our server was extremely knowledgeable, professional and communicative. We mentioned that it was our first time there and we followed her recommendations throughout. They had a great selection of wines by the half bottle, always a concern to me, as well as an extensive wine list. We followed her wine recommendation and couldn't have been more pleased. Now I gotta find this wine --- anyone familiar with Nuits-St-George Clos des Forets Domaine de L'Arlot and where to get it (ny or nj)?

Why would a restaurant offering a  free glass of champagne have greater repercussions than a restaurant with a license that sold a magnum of the stuff? 

Bonne Année, everyone!

Typically your restaurant's liability insurance premium will be higher if you distribute alcohol.

If you serve alcohol to your guests, and you haven't declared that on your policy's risks questionnaire, there is an excellent probability your insurance carrier won't pay the claim.

The issue would arise if a guest has an accident, and the victim sues you. The ensuing investigation would show your staff hasn't had the training to determine whether a guest should be served, whether he/she was over 21, etc.

If I owned a restaurant, and didn't have a license, I wouldn't do it

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

If they issued a credit card for ignorance, you'd be a Centurion Card member, Plotnicki.

I trust you are done with the Jersey swipes for 2003.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks for the report on Nicholas. I am returning there soon for my birthday and can't wait!  By any chance did you meet our eGullet connection?

No, I didn't ask as I'm sure he had his hands full. Nicholas was roaming around and chatting though.

If you serve alcohol to your guests, and you haven't declared that on your policy's risks questionnaire, there is an excellent probability your insurance carrier won't pay the claim.

Ditto if you you're not truthful about the amount of alcohol sales.

Actually, Steve Plotnicki mentioned several NJ restaurants his advisors found worthy a few months ago. It was in the context of Montclair BYO locations, as I recall.

I wonder what prompted his change of attitude?

rancho gordo

I really don't like dining out on New Year's Eve but friend's insisted and we had a lovely dinner at Corso 98. What I liked was that they had a shortened version of their regular menu so you had plenty of choices and the prices were the same. We came back to my house for dessert and champagne.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We had decided to go to the Petite Cafe. Their menu was very interesting - I get it mailed to me.

The first course was Nuevo Latino - Baby Lamb Chop with Star Anise, Serrano wrapped Prawn, and my favorite the Malango Pancake.

The second course was Nuovo Italiano. Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara and Garlic Custard (this was so creamy) it was like nothing I ever had.

Main course Novelle Franciase - you had your choice of Filet Mignon with Rocquefort, Skate with Pistachio's and Lemon (my husband had this and loved it), I had the Chicken with a Porcini and Black Truffle. I did not need dessert after this I was already in heaven

Dessert was New American an Apple Cobbler with Cranberry (there was also a few other fruit and goodies (the chef would give away) with Cinnamon ice cream.