• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Tonight, I offer you a Tomato-Lemon Tart from the Sept 2017 Bon Appétit. Puff pastry gets brushed with garlic-olive oil, then topped with thin slices of lemon, torn basil, sliced heirloom tomatoes, sea salt, pepper and olive oil. 

59c32b7f2ed08_IMG_6131(1).thumb.jpg.1ca5cbccc0fa8139206475f896599b9e.jpg

The lemon slices (I cut them as thin as I could with a mandoline, as per the recipe) are overwhelmingly bitter and make this inedible.  

Maybe it would work better with Meyer lemons, but I'm not wasting 3 more lovely heirloom tomatoes to find out xD.

Embarrassingly, I gave a visiting neighbor a few slices to take home BEFORE I'd actually tasted it.  I had to text her to tell her not to eat it but she'd already tried it :$.

Lesson learned!

Could you pick the lemons off? The rest of it looks like it would be very good. Sad about those end of season tomatoes. They are like gold this time of year.

Edit: What was I thinking? Good tomatoes are like culinary gold any time you can get your hands on them!

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Tonight, I offer you a Tomato-Lemon Tart from the Sept 2017 Bon Appétit. Puff pastry gets brushed with garlic-olive oil, then topped with thin slices of lemon, torn basil, sliced heirloom tomatoes, sea salt, pepper and olive oil. 

59c32b7f2ed08_IMG_6131(1).thumb.jpg.1ca5cbccc0fa8139206475f896599b9e.jpg

The lemon slices (I cut them as thin as I could with a mandoline, as per the recipe) are overwhelmingly bitter and make this inedible.  

Maybe it would work better with Meyer lemons, but I'm not wasting 3 more lovely heirloom tomatoes to find out xD.

Embarrassingly, I gave a visiting neighbor a few slices to take home BEFORE I'd actually tasted it.  I had to text her to tell her not to eat it but she'd already tried it :$.

Lesson learned!

Could you pick the lemons off? The rest of it looks like it would be very good. Sad about those end of season tomatoes. They are like gold this time of year.