• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative to Pork Tenderloin

Shel_B

This weekend I want to make an oven roasted pork dish - sear the pork in a pan and then roast in the oven. My first thought was to get a nice tenderloin from The Local Butcher as I don't want a piece of meat that's been brined, injected, or hormonized, and I want a lean piece of meat. However, tenderloin is a little lacking in flavor, so I'm willing to move to a somewhat fattier piece of pork , maybe even something with the bone in it (Toots loves knawing on bones). Any suggestions for a tenderloin alternative? Thanks!

... Shel

None of those is a tenderloin alternative.

Loin and rib chops would be.

Since my original post, I've poked around a bit and come to a similar conclusion. A couple of nice, thick chops seems like a good compromise between lean and flavorful, and since Toots likes the bone, and is more inclined to enjoy the fat, something along this line might be ideal. Thanks!

... Shel

This weekend I want to make an oven roasted pork dish - sear the pork in a pan and then roast in the oven. My first thought was to get a nice tenderloin from The Local Butcher as I don't want a piece of meat that's been brined, injected, or hormonized, and I want a lean piece of meat. However, tenderloin is a little lacking in flavor, so I'm willing to move to a somewhat fattier piece of pork , maybe even something with the bone in it (Toots loves knawing on bones). Any suggestions for a tenderloin alternative? Thanks!

A bone in pork chop primal.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What i do is buy a pork shoulder (boston butt) and debone and trim away the large chunks of fat and connective tissue making sure to keep it still intact. Then truss it up with some butchers twine and rotisserie it but you could roast it in the oven or whatever method you want. This will blow any tenderloin or chop away. If your not handy with a knife, ask your butcher to debone and trim away the large pieces of fat and connective tissue.

If you rally want take it to a whole other level and are crazy like me give this a read.http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144216-pork-reconstructed/?p=1903682

What i do is buy a pork shoulder (boston butt) [...]

If you rally want take it to a whole other level and are crazy like me give this a read.http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144216-pork-reconstructed/?p=1903682

Pork shoulder, even after trimming the obvious fat, is still too fatty for us. I would not want to go to the level that you've gone ... no way. I do, however, applaud you for your creativity and enthusiasm.

... Shel

How about getting a tenderloin, but adding flavour by filling it and wrapping it. One of my favourites is filling with basil leaves, garlic, pine seeds and parmesan, then wrapping the whole thing with thin prosciutto slices.

How about getting a tenderloin, but adding flavour by filling it and wrapping it. One of my favourites is filling with basil leaves, garlic, pine seeds and parmesan, then wrapping the whole thing with thin prosciutto slices.

I want to taste pork, not herbs and cheese and other meat. Plus, I don't like cooked prociutto, which I imagine is what you're suggesting by wrapping the tenderloin with it.

... Shel

Have you considered cheeks? Once you've trimmed away the external nastiness they don't have masses of intermuscular fat, but have loads of porky flavour. What fat there is in them, should be nicely rendered away during a long stint in the oven. They're also pretty versatile, as they're easy to shred, you can plonk it on top of a pasta dish, mash, veggies or even put it in a bun... and in terms of cost, most butchers around me practically give them away... perfect!

I've not considered cheeks, however, when I visit the butcher later this week, I'll ask about them. From what I can see, they appear too fatty for our, or at least, my, preference. They may do well in a braise or some other slow, moist cooking process. Might be fun to experiment with, especially if the price is right. Thanks for the idea ...

... Shel

I really dont know what you are expecting. You say how you want something with flavor, yet every cut we suggest is too fatty for you. You need to realize that fat = flavor, and if you dont want something seasoned or brined, dont expect much flavor in a lean cut.

I really dont know what you are expecting. You say how you want something with flavor, yet every cut we suggest is too fatty for you. You need to realize that fat = flavor, and if you dont want something seasoned or brined, dont expect much flavor in a lean cut.

You're mistaken. Not every cut suggested was deemed too fatty. The suggestions for chops was greeted enthusiastically. I know that fat equals flavor, but too much equals cholesterol and clogged arteries, so we're cutting back on that tasty, and for us, dangerous ingredient.

I also said I'd consider the idea of pork cheeks, although not for this dinner, and that when I go to The Local Butcher I'd ask about them.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Another possibility is to move to wild boar. Much, much leaner. Even the belly has big chunks of lean meat. And incredible flavor.

I also once had skirt steak from an Iberico pig. IIRC, that was pretty lean, and it was GOOD. I don't know if skirt steak from a normal pig would be as good.

Another possibility is to move to wild boar. Much, much leaner. Even the belly has big chunks of lean meat. And incredible flavor.

I also once had skirt steak from an Iberico pig. IIRC, that was pretty lean, and it was GOOD. I don't know if skirt steak from a normal pig would be as good.

That's a great idea! Both Toots and I have had boar before, and we both enjoyed it. It's too late for this weekend's dinner, but definitely it's workable for some future date. We don't eat much meat, so it would be a simple matter to plan ahead and dig out some recipes and ideas. There's a place in Teaxas that sells the meat, and IIRC, they have some recipe ideas on their web site.

I've heard about the Iberico hams, but not had any meat from an Iberico pig. Something else to look into ... Thanks!

News just in: I checked around real quick and rediscovered a shop not far from my place that sells wild boar and other game meats. I'd forgotten about this place. Other game meats may also be a good choice for our lower fat diet :smile:

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel