• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeffrey Weiss

French charcuterie workshops in the US

1 post in this topic

Hello All!

I wanted to share some great news-- my friend, French cook and culinary instructor Kate Hill, is bringing famed butcher and charcuterie master Dominique Chapolard for a bunch of workshops.

There's still seats available at some of the sites--here is a link with the details:

TTFN, jeff

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By chromedome
      I'm posting it here on the grounds that national Food Guides are, by their nature, intended to be used as references. 
      Many of you will have read today's news stories about the proposed changes to Canada's food guidelines. All of the stories I read mentioned that Health Canada was soliciting input from the general public, as well as health/food industry professionals. None of them, alas, actually gave a link to the "consultation" page at Health Canada's website. For those who wish to weigh in, here it is:
    • By mikec
      Everytime I make Coq au Vin or similar chicken dishes the recipe calls for browning the chicken (creating a nice crispy skin) and then removing it only to return it to the dish to finish by braising in liquid. Unfortunately, when cooked in liquid, my chicken ends up losing its crispiness and turning grey and soggy.
      What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to retain then crispy factor?
    • By jmacnaughtan
      So I've been looking at this dish for a while, and while I've seen threads talking about where to eat it, I haven't found anyone who's actually made it.  I thought it might be fun to try.
      This is the recipe I've found (in French, my apologies), and there's an informative YouTube video of same.  Again in French, and as a bonus in a heavy southern accent.
      I'm going to pick up my hare, sausage-meat, foie gras and bard on Wednesday, and get to de-boning.  I'll see if I can get my better half to take a couple of photos or videos
      If anyone has done this before, or anything like it, I'd love to hear any advice you might have.  As for now, I have a couple of questions for more experienced eGulleteers before I start:
      1- I can't seem to get hold of the requisite pork back fat, but my butcher can provide veal kidney fat.  Is this a decent alternative?
      2- I've been re-watching the video and re-reading the recipe, and neither say when to remove the string used to truss the hare.  Would it be better to do it after taking it out of the cooking liquor?  Once it's rolled and chilled?  Removing each small piece from each slice - but before or after it's reheated?  I have horrific images of doing everything perfectly, then have it fall apart right at the last moment.
      So any input would be gratefully received.  In any case, I'll try and document the process as much as possible for future information/hilarity.
    • By tan319
      hello all.
      just wondering if anybody has a favorite way to cook their brulee.
      I just did some in a convection oven, low fan, 225 and they got a bit wierd on top. In oval dishes, BTW.
      Good texture inside. Just a bit wierd on top.
      I welcome any input.
    • By yoboseyo
      Novice at meat-curer looking for advice. I'm making 2 pancettas this season.
      The first one I used the over-salting technique. What I didn't expect was that the salt would all turn into brine in a day, and I expected that I could scrape away the excess salt at the end. Instead, I left it on the brine for too long, and the result was too salty. The meat firmed up in 2 days so I should've taken it out then.
      For my second one, which is currently in the fridge, I used the equilibrium salting technique. I added about 100g salt for 3.5kg meat. The problem now is that it's not firming up seemingly at all! It has been 9 days in the fridge, and flipping it every day or 2. After 6 days, however, there was no pool of brine left. I put the meat in a folded over but unsealed bag. Did the brine evaporate or resoak into the meat?
      Any advice on how to continue would be appreciated.