• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

curls

Passion Fruit Ganache, vanishing flavor?

15 posts in this topic

I made some passion fruit ganache last weekend. In fact I made three different batches, recipes from Greweling, Notter and Torres. When I tried them last weekend they all had plenty of passion fruit flavor. Tried them again last night and it seems that the passion fruit flavor has mellowed quite a bit and if this continues, soon they will not taste of passion fruit at all. I have not had this happen for any other ganaches. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they fixed the problem.

Did you start from fruit or from commercial fruit puree?

I've never used a fruit puree but have a can of Goya Guava paste in my supply of 'not-used-yet' stuff and thought about making a ganache with it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

I started with commercial fruit puree.

In the Modernist Cuisine they describe that the flavor from fresh fruit juice is due to the many chemical intermediates produced from different ongoing enzymatic reactions within the juice. Once these reactions proceed to completion, the flavor is changed/reduced. They recommend adding a small amount of fresh juice to the preparation to "re-fill" the starting reagents, which will produce the full flavor profile after a bit of time (temporarily).

I've made passionfruit/mango ganache using the recipe from William Curley's Chocolate Couture book several times and had no problem with the flavor fading. The passionfruit flavor is strong. Actually, I can't taste the mango. I've had the chocolates around for 2-3 weeks and the flavor has not seemed to change. I used commercial passionfruit and mango purees.

Thanks for the info cmflick, will try the Curley recipe next time.

Where do you guys buy your commercial passion fruit puree from? I've looked before, and most places the shipping prices are extremely high...

Where do you guys buy your commercial passion fruit puree from? I've looked before, and most places the shipping prices are extremely high...

I use Goya or Andino's Food (from Ecuador) from the local hispanic market. I think that there is a brand called La Fe as well, but I don't have any of them right now. All seem fine to me. I can't afford the shipping on other purees. The down side is that there is not as wide a range of purees as with something like Boiron. Most of what I use is passionfruit and mango. Fruits that are available seasonally, I make my own purees and freeze them.

I have gotten puree from L'Epicerie. Albert Uster is nearby and I can pick up small amounts of puree from them.

Where are you located?

Nebraska. I have looked at L'Epicerie, but last time I checked shipping was close to $30, which isn't really worth it for me. I have ordered passion fruit concentrate online, which works well (I've only used it for drinks so far), but I am not sure how it compares to the puree, especially for things like ganache or sorbets.
Edited by Erdbeereis (log)

Where are you located?

Nebraska. I have looked at L'Epicerie, but last time I checked shipping was close to $30, which isn't really worth it for me. I have ordered passion fruit concentrate online, which works well (I've only used it for drinks so far), but I am not sure how it compares to the puree, especially for things like ganache or sorbets.

I use Perfect Puree's Passion Fruit Concentrate in my ganache filling. It works great and is probably my most popular flavor. I've had no problem with the flavor disappearing. Perfect Puree's shipping is out of control, and I think it's the same if ordered through Amazon. They only ship overnight and slap on big surcharges for orders under 4 containers. Whole Foods used to have the smaller home containers, but I think Perfect Puree stopped making them.

I use Perfect Puree's Passion Fruit Concentrate in my ganache filling. It works great and is probably my most popular flavor. I've had no problem with the flavor disappearing. Perfect Puree's shipping is out of control, and I think it's the same if ordered through Amazon. They only ship overnight and slap on big surcharges for orders under 4 containers. Whole Foods used to have the smaller home containers, but I think Perfect Puree stopped making them.

RWood, from what I understand, the concentrate is twice the strength of regular puree. Therefore, do you use half as much as you would use puree?

I used the Perfect Puree product for a RLB cake, and I think I had to dilute it to use. For a ganache however, it makes no sense to add water. So how do you work with the concentrate?

RWood, from what I understand, the concentrate is twice the strength of regular puree. Therefore, do you use half as much as you would use puree?

I used the Perfect Puree product for a RLB cake, and I think I had to dilute it to use. For a ganache however, it makes no sense to add water. So how do you work with the concentrate?

I don't dilute it in any way. I replaced half of the cream with the concentrate. Heat them together and pour over white chocolate. It's never been too strong of a flavor, and it's always been one, if not the, most popular flavor I've made.

Edited by RWood (log)

• Similar Content

• By Kasia

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

• By Kasia
      What should a Sunday dessert be like if it is to disappear as soon as it has been served? In my home we need two things: chocolate and fruit. These ingredients usually ensure my culinary success. Recently I used them to prepare muffins with blueberries and white chocolate. They were yummy, fluffy inside and crunchy outside, and it was possible to smell the sweet, chocolate fragrance in the corridor outside our flat. As usual, some of them were packed in boxes for my children's packed lunch.

Ingredients (12 muffins)
      300g of flour
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      150g of butter
      170ml of milk
      160g of brown sugar
      2 eggs
      2 flat teaspoons of baking powder
      ½ teaspoon of baking soda
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      12 bars of white chocolate
      blueberries

Heat the oven up to 190C. Put some paper muffin moulds into the "dimples" of a baking pan for muffins.
      Melt the butter in a pan. Leave to cool down.
      Mix together the dry ingredients of the muffins: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa. Mix together the milk, vanilla essence and eggs in a separate bowl. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix them in. Add the melted butter and mix it in again.
      Put the dough into some paper muffin moulds up to 1/2 of their height, and put 3-4 blueberries and one piece of white chocolate on top. Add some dough on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Ingredients (for 4 people):
      3 long sticks of rhubarb
      250g of strawberries
      4 tablespoons of xylitol
      4 tablespoons of butter
      150g of desiccated coconut

Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Wash the rhubarb, peel it and cut it into 1 cm pieces. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of xylitol, mix it in and leave for half an hour. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cut them into small pieces. Drain the rhubarb from the juice and mix it in with the strawberries.
      Melt the butter. Mix the desiccated coconut with the rest of the xylitol and butter. Smooth some small casserole dishes with a bit of butter. Put the rhubarb and strawberries into them. Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut crumble topping. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Serve with strawberry or vanilla ice cream.

• By Kasia
      Strawberry dessert with chia seeds

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      300g of strawberries
      300ml of milk (it may be coconut milk or whatever you prefer)
      honey or maple syrup
      4 tablespoons of chia seeds
      fruit and peppermint leaves for decoration

Clean the strawberries and remove the shanks. Add the milk and one tablespoon of honey or maple syrup. Blend it thoroughly. Try it and if necessary add a bit more honey. Add the chia seeds, mix them in and leave in the fridge for 4-5 hours. Stir once again. Put the dessert into a small bowl and decorate with the fruit and peppermint leaves.

The inspiration for this dessert comes from "Smaki życia" ("Flavour of Life") by Agnieszka Maciąg

• By ChristysConfections
      Hi everyone!

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section. I am looking for recommendations on where to find a used/economically priced climate controlled (low humidity and refrigerated, but not too cold) chocolate display case as well as a regular refrigerated display case (bakery style). Something like this, but it doesn't need to be too fancy looking. I am living in Canada on the West Coast, so the closer to local, the better. I'm finding it very challenging to find something. I found and excellent deal on a couple of used ones in the USA, but the seller doesn't want to deal with the hassle of having it crated and shipped. I'm trying to keep up to date searching on the Ecole Chocolat graduate forum as well as The Chocolate Life classifieds. 

Also, does anyone know if a smaller table-top type climates controlled chocolate display case exists? Or are the only options out there for larger models?

Warm Regards,
      Christy