• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ganache emulsifying

georgeabshire

We routinely use a whisk for ganache - we let the cream come to a rolling boil and pour it over the callets (we also add butter for our purposes) rock the bowl a little to ensure the cream gets down to the bottom; and wait a few minutes then use a whisk.

Edited by JeanneCake
correct typos (log)

From what I have been taught, there is no need for a stick blender ... you can emulsify with a spatula or whisk - especially if the ganache is well balanced. As you get higher fat ganaches (eg., using a dark chocolate with high cocoa butter content), a stick blender (or using a food processor/robot-coupe) can give a better result.

Edited by gap (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, gap said:

From what I have been taught, there is no need for a stick blender ... you can emulsify with a spatula or whisk - especially if the ganache is well balanced. As you get higher fat ganaches (eg., using a dark chocolate with high cocoa butter content), a stick blender (or using a food processor/robot-coupe) can give a better result.

Totally agree.  I'd add Valrhona Inspirations as needing help, they don't emulsify as easily.

If the ganache is being used in a bonbon, a lot of chocolatiers make the point that you want to incorporate as little air in the ganache as possible (for shelf life concerns).  So the immersion blender has the advantage that it can be kept below the surface of the ganache and so makes fewer air bubbles.  I don't know if there is sufficient science behind that observation, but I do it "just in case" it's correct.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Go look at websites for Valrhona, Callebaut, Cacao Barry and other experts. They all recommend using a stick blender as a final step to emulsifying ganache.  It’s especially helpful if you have any kind of fruit purée as part of your ganache. 

I have used a whisk or spatula only and a stick blender. You bet a much more stable and creamier ga ache by finishing with a stick blender. It’s also essential for mirror glazes and ganache for bonbons which often has a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream if you want more than a two day shelf life. It’s one more step and a useful tool for your kitchen so why not?

Edited by onemorebitedelara.com (log)