• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marmalade in cocktails

haresfur

I've been meaning to ask for a while and was motivated by the recreating drinks discussion.

There are a few posts around about cocktails that use marmalade, like the recent one, and the classic Omar Bradley.

What do you think is the best way to incorporate marmalade into a cocktail? Is there any way to permanently de-gel it? It is a pain to dissolve in cold water and one post suggests boiling water but that would require extra chilling or extra time. Straining out the dregs isn't pleasant either. I admit that at home I just ignore the dregs in the bottom of a glass.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I've never had a problem with it not breaking up during the shake so I just plop it in. Since I'm only making drinks at home and speed is not a concern, I pour most of my drinks through a fine strainer anyway... so the dregs aren't a problem either. The recipe in the recreating drinks thread calls for "orange marmalade syrup" so maybe making up a 2:1 marmalade to water (just guessing at the ratio) mixture, straining it and tossing it in the fridge is an option.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you make your own marmelade, you've also got the option of removing the "dregs" before you even start (by straining out the peels in a jelly bag), and holding a small jar of clear marmelade jelly specifically for cocktails.

Like Tri2, I've never had any problem with the gel dissolving and breaking up in the shake, so I just plop it in.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 2 weeks later...