• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab Crusted Salmon

Stone

I've got a big piece of salmon, and a half pound of very fresh crab meat.

I plan to mix the crab meat with a little fresh mayo, some chopped tarragon, and, I think, some bread crumbs. Spread it over the salmon, and bake till done, finishing under the broiler for a bit of color?

Any thoughts?

(Other stuff you may have comments for:

Kale: saute some mustard seed, cumin seed and a dash of asefedtia in ghee, add chopped kale to wilt, add garlic and ginger.

Green beans: saute in evoo, add some garlic and dried cranberries.)

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Good idea.

And if I add some pancetta to the kale . . . . I assume it's best to brown the pancetta, then throw in the seeds, then the kale?

I agree about adding the salmon later.

Start the panchetta on medium with a bit of water to help it render. When it has, turn up the heat, add the ghee, spices, etc.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

When I did kale for T-day, I blanched and shocked it first, then sautéed it with the cooked chopped pancetta (and garlic, in my case) (and garlic and spices, in your case :wink: ) so really you're only re-heating the tenderized kale -- which can be kind of tough, after all. Have a great Kratzmich, as my grandmother might have said.

This came out great. I had a 2 1/2 pound hunk of salmon. I mixed up a 1/2 pound of fresh uncooked crab, about 3-4 tblsp of homemade mayo, same amount of homemade breadcrumbs and some chopped tarragon (as usual, I used too much tarragon, I always forget how strong it is).

I put the fish in a 350-ish oven (with so many things going in and out of the oven yesterday I have no idea what the temp was) for about 8-10minutes. Took it out and spread the crab mixture, with a thin sprinkling of more bread crumbs on top. Put it back for another 8-10 minutes. It was perfect.

Dstone, that's great.

I like tarragon but I know what you mean. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM