• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Chicken for Chicken Salad

Kim Shook

So what is the consensus – poaching or roasting? Ina says to roast. Other folks that I also trust say to poach. I am making chicken salad for Christmas Eve and want firm, tender, moist chicken that I can cut into very small cubes that won’t turn to mush when I mix with the other ingredients. I am serving it with miniature croissants and want people to be able to make their own sandwiches without a lot of fuss and mess. Thanks!!

Poached/boiled is the way I'd go, since you're pairing it with rich, buttery croissants. If it was a stand-alone salad on a lettuce leaf, or tucked inside squishy white bread, the roasted chix would deliver more browned flavor. If you're concerned about it being too bland, spike the mayo with spices.

I always poach chicken legs and thighs in a pot of stock I've started a half-hour or so earlier. When it's done, I pull it out and let it cool, then strip the meat off and toss the bones right back into the stockpot. It's a two-fer! :smile:

• Like 1

I make chicken salad often and have always thought poaching lends much more to the traditional flavor I grew up with. Besides, I think a roast chicken is pretty close to perfection, so I prefer to keep these flavors separate and apart. It all depends on what you prefer.

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.