• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neutral glaze recipe

Lia Tumkus

Hi everyone!!!

Does anyone have a good neutral glaze recipe that doesn't use pectin but still uses some thermo reversible gels? Even recipes with gelatin leaves are already a big help!

In my country is rather common to do mirror glaze (or sort of) using cornflour, but as you can imagine, it doesn't look or taste the same as the professional glazes do. Because it's only for a small amount of fruit tarts and pastries I would like to be able to do my own glaze instead of buying those 5kg buckets.

Thanks guys!!!

Can't find a specific recipe on my computer - and I know the neutral glaze I made used pectin. But how about replacing the cornflour with arrowroot flower or tapioca flour - both give a more gel like result than cornstarch. And not exactly neutral - I often heat and strain apricot preserves and use that as a glaze on fruit tarts and pastry.

Oh yeah - I've melted red current jelly for a glaze as well.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

If you're just avoiding pectin, liquid + .9% carrageenan (50% iota - 50% kappa) + .2% potassium citrate as a starting point works nicely and is thermo-reversible. Adjustments to the carrageenan blend and the total amount of the blend used in the recipe can be used to fine-tune the texture. If you're avoiding specialty ingredients altogether, gelatin can be used. I've played with gelatin glazes and they're easy to work with (plus they're really forgiving, if you're not happy with the result they will lift off after setting and you can try again). I've never been completely happy with gelatin for water-based glazes but that's probably more about me being picky than gelatin being unusable. Try it and see what you think... but I recommend keeping water-based gelatin glazes on the thin side or it starts to resemble dessert en gelee. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dear Tri2Cook,

do you have any basic gelatin glaze recipes? I've tried some, like you said, on the thin side, and in the beginning the tarts look good, but after a couple of hours in the refrigerator it kind dries out and shrink a bit...

In the mean time I am trying to get my hands in some carrageenan.

Thanks again!

Thanks everybody!