• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Your Own; Peanuts, That Is

weinoo

So I bought a couple of pounds of raw peanuts in their shell - it's the season, adn they're all over Chinatown.

In the past, I've done some Szechuan boiled peanuts, after removing them from their shells. They cooked for about 1.5 hours.

Recipes I've read today for "southern" boiled peanuts call for boiling them in their shells for 4 to 5 hours.

And then I read a recipe or two for roasting that calls for roasting them for 35 - 45 minutes and they're done...no way. These peanuts have been in the oven for 1.5 hours and are barely done.

So, what's the deal...how do you roast your peanuts and...

what do you do with them once they're roasted? Other than just eat them out of the shell, by the way.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have actually never oven-roasted peanuts, nor have I attempted to roast in-shell - now I'll have to give it a go. For shelled, boiled nuts, I normally use a round-bottomed pan on the stove, over low heat, stirring constantly, until they're the right colour and flavour - the same way I roast coffee and cacao (although those have their own pans, as do the peanuts - I don't want any cross-mojination with the oils.) It takes about 30-45 minutes this way, and fills the house with a fabulous peanutty fug that lasts the rest of the day, but that's hardly a downside.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Maybe slightly hotter, but I wouldnt go too crazy. Is your oven holding the temp accurately? Cause shell or not, I think an hour and a half in a 350f oven would make some nice toasty nuts.

The two thermometers in the oven, and pretty much everything else I cook in the oven coming out right, would seem to point to an accurate oven temp.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?