• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things lots of people buy and I don't understand

Fat Guy

My wife had bariatric surgery and finds that white-meat chicken no longer agrees with her. In the five years since her surgery I have never been able to cook a chicken breast that she can properly swallow. Since she and I both prefer dark meat anyway it is a no-brainer.

I am in a similar situation and have found that sous vide has been the salvation for proteins. My standards are sous vide chicken beast (60C for 90-120 mins) or thigh (65C for 120 mins), marinated sirloin (54.5C for 24 hours) and pork belly (80C for 10 hours)

PM me for more info if you like

Simon

Because of dietary issues my DW has coupled with the fact the my adult daughter has issues with never thinking chicken on the bone is ever completely cooked

That is so interesting! My hub has the same issue with bone-in chicken and freaking out that it isn't cooked and that I've killed him!!!OMG!!! A huge pain in the rear. I hate having to do boneless chicken but it may come to that. Glad, in a way, to know I'm not alone.

DDF, I watched the video this morning. While I was out running errands I picked up a dozen chicken thighs. I de-boned and skinned them according to the video (better technique than I had used in the past) and then weighed the meat and the scrap. Total weight was 62 oz even with the scrap accounting for 25 oz leaving me with 37 oz of meat.. Since it is of no use to me I calculated the cost of the meat after trimming to be $1.81/lb. I buy my boneless skinless for $1.99/lb. Since I get no pleasure out of cutting up chicken the $0.18/lb difference is worth it to me.

That being said, I am grateful for the link to the video. It has given me a new technique that in very specific instances could be useful.

So I will continue to buy my Swanson's and you will have your perspective that home-made stock is the proper source - and that perspective is in keeping with the topic at hand.

Good Eating.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Excellent Analysis of the Vid and the Ck Th.

I also now will change my boning technique based on the vid, esp. turing the bird over to start with the 'oyster'

and do the Thighs as vid-ed.

but now Im much more interested in whole birds at 99 cents an lbs, doing the boning as Vid-ed

then using the 'scraps' to save for PC stock.

I do have the time to try out PC stock , but have not gotten to it yet

this vid helps a lot.

and i dont mind de-boning.