• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

User Friendly Ice Cube Trays

Pierogi

Have you considered switching to whisky stones for most of your chilled liquid needs? They're basically small cubes of soapstone that are too soft to scratch glass and retain a decent amount of thermal energy. I've never given them a try, but I've long been curious.

The Japanese chain Muji also sells a silicone mold for making spherical ice. At $11.75 each they're pretty expensive, but I'd imagine you'd only need one sphere per glass: http://www.muji.us/store/silicon-ice-ball-maker.html No clue if this would require less dexterity but it might be worth a shot since you don't have to break the ice up to get it out. Moma's spherical trays look somewhat easy too: http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Spherical%20Ice%20Tray%20Set_10451_10001_57253_-1_26669_26669_57254

True, and I've been tempted to purchase both of them. But a goodly number of the cocktails I enjoy are shaken, then strained....while the rocks and the huge sphere would work for an "XXX on the rocks" situation, I don't think they'd be optimal for shaking. Or even for stirring to combine and then straining.

first off, don,t take this,wrong,I have not used Ice cube trays for other than freezing Basil into cubes for pesto.for many many years,seems all refrigerators these days, have ice cube makers,(some work better than others)(thankfully)

Bud

Unfortunately, it would cost a small king's ransom to run plumbing to where my fridge lives. I looked into it when I last replaced the thing. And since *I* didn't win the MegaMillions last week.....

Have you considered switching to whisky stones for most of your chilled liquid needs? They're basically small cubes of soapstone that are too soft to scratch glass and retain a decent amount of thermal energy. I've never given them a try, but I've long been curious.

For cocktails, though, you both want and need the dilution that comes from the melting ice.

What he said.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

For cocktails, though, you both want and need the dilution that comes from the melting ice.

So just add some water to the recipe.

PS: I am a guy.

So just add some water to the recipe.

In my opinion, that method is never getting a cocktail (that is, a drink with 3 or more ingredients) to the proper temperature or dilution. I imagine for a sipping whiskey, it would be just fine. But in any event, do as it please you.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...

I just picked up another set of these:

stock cubes.JPG

They are great for stock cubes because they have lids. Aussie seem to only make tiny ice cubes so I use them for cocktail ice, although I'd like even bigger ones. The sloping sides make it pretty easy to release the cubes.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.