• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Sourdough Starter Success

Isabelle Prescott

I finally got to meet my internet friend, Amanda, in person. She lives in Australia and we originally "met" on a recipe forum many years ago. While she was in the US I wanted to share my sourdough starter with her. I knew she wouldn't be able to take it in liquid form on the plane so I dried some and put it in an envelope for her.

She reconstituted it when she got back to Adelaide and made some beautiful loaves of sourdough bread. She writes a food blog: http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com/ There are pictures of her sourdough loaves made with my starter in the blog if you want to see them. They look better than mine... but its fun to know that something I created in my kitchen is now feeding Amanda's family in Australia. :biggrin:

Tips on reconstituting dried starter can be found on Carl's Sourdough page :smile:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 1 month later...

I dried the sourdough starter by spreading a couple of tablespoons on a piece of waxed paper and let it dry overnight. I put it in an envelope and when Amanda got back to OZ she mixed it in with equal amounts of water and flour and let it bubble away. I've had this starter for 4 or 5 years. I started it with grapes, flour and bottled water as per the La Brea Bakery method and been using it ever since.