• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Japanese/Thai in Central Jersey?

helenas

We're meeting our friends for dinner this Saturday. We're looking for a decent restaurant serving japanese/thai/chinese in our area (they're from New Brunswick, we're Manalapanese). Could you recommend where to go? Thank you so much.

edit: spanish/middle eastern will do as well. thanks.

Edited by HelenaS (log)

We're meeting our friends for dinner this Saturday. We're looking for a decent restaurant serving japanese/thai/chinese in our area (they're from New Brunswick, we're Manalapanese). Could you recommend where to go? Thank you so much.

edit: spanish/middle eastern will do as well. thanks.

I would reccomend Mei Thai in Woodbridge...easy for you from Route 9 and for them up Route 1.. And I like the "Manalapanese", I'm going to use that one again! :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late with this post but hope I can be helpful in the future. The BEST thai in the area is Pad Thai in Highland Park. Hands down! The best duck, any noodle dish and all specials have never disappointed. but order MILD. The chef has a heavy hand.

I'm late with this post but hope I can be helpful in the future. The BEST thai in the area is Pad Thai in Highland Park. Hands down! The best duck, any noodle dish and all specials have never disappointed. but order MILD. The chef has a heavy hand.

Hi Linken, welcom to the NJ board..I am always personally happy to have an addition that eats in central NJ! Have you been to Mei Thai, and how would you compare the Pad Thai to that? Is Pad Thai right on that main drag in HP? I have not driven through there in a while..this is the second posts that specifies HPark..I'll have to revisit the area.

Had lunch at Mr Pi's Sushi, 257 Central Ave, Metuchen. It was excellent. Started off with edamame and shared some special rolls. One with salmon and one with spicy tuna. Friend who is a sushi maven thought it was the best she has ever had.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I used to eat at Pad Thai, and it was one of the only places that would serve food hot enough for my tastes from the start. Middle aged asian waitress would brusquley ask several times "You sure you want medium!? Medium very-very hot!"

Unfortunately in recent years quality seems to have become erratic, and since discovering Mie Thai it is simply easier for me to jump on the train to Woodbridge and avoid the rush hour traffic. They did need to be trained to get it hot enough though. Their Larb now blows me away...

Bolero Cafe in Highlands does great Cuban but that's kind of out of your way...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Hi Kim...Sorry again for the delayed reply regarding Thai in central jersey but here it is. I have been to Mei Thai and to me there is no comparison. Pad Thai by a mile. I've been ther many times the past few years and the ony times I've been disappointed is when the head chef is off (the day of the week varies). The restaurant is always crowded which translates in high turnover which then translates to very fresh food. As I stated in my previous post, the braised duck (tamarind) is one of the best duck dishes anywhere. Again, order MILD if you like it spicy! !

I have to add my vote...I've eaten at Thai restaurants throughout NJ, NY, San Fran and abroad. I haven't found any as good as Mie Thai. Their Crispy duck is outrageous. The soups, especially the Tom Kha Gai is pure comfort food. I used to eat at Pad Thai, but as someone else here mentioned they went downhill at some point.

Had lunch at Mr Pi's Sushi, 257 Central Ave, Metuchen. It was excellent. Started off with edamame and shared some special rolls. One with salmon and one with spicy tuna. Friend who is a sushi maven thought it was the best she has ever had.

Rosie - I concur...Mr. Pi is on my list as one of the top sushi places in NJ. The TKO roll that they do is purely phenominal.

A.D.S.

Another delayed reply... (OK, so I still have a lot of catching up to do. )

Yes, Pad Thai is on the main drag in Highland Park - Raritan Avenue aka Rt. 27. Although we haven't been there in a few years, their "medium" was plenty potent! Alas, I have seen disparaging comments about the food/service at this place over the past year, so beware...

Can't compare it to Mie Thai, though. We were on vacation at the time of the eGullet invasion. and haven't been able to get out there yet. But one of these days... (Not saying which one, though. )