• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combining Rib Eye Steaks Into a Roast...

pastameshugana

Hello all,

I just scored a great deal on some pre-cut (thick) ribeye's at the butcher. Unfortunately, the deal was only for the precut, I couldn't get a larger piece.

I'm really hankering to roast them all together as one big roast - is this possible?

I was thinking about aligning them all (they're from the same primal so they match) and tying them up. Maybe putting some of my spice rub between the pieces. Then trimming and eating it like we would an entire roast.

Any tips, warnings, suggestions?

Thanks!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

The problem is food safety - you want to pasteurize the exteriors of all the steaks (since they are potentially contaminated) but that will be impossible to do in roast form without seriously overcooking the meat (or cooking sous vide).

If you (and everyone you are serving) would be okay eating them raw, then you can probably doing (realizing you are taking a similar risk).

The problem is food safety - you want to pasteurize the exteriors of all the steaks (since they are potentially contaminated) but that will be impossible to do in roast form without seriously overcooking the meat (or cooking sous vide).

If you (and everyone you are serving) would be okay eating them raw, then you can probably doing (realizing you are taking a similar risk).

Actually, it is possible to treat the exterior of each piece before tying them together.

Unfortunately, the work that describes this (Guess What Came to Dinner, by Gittelman), is in a moving box, and I can't lay hands on it. Possibly someone else has it?

You soak the meat in water to which a small but effective quantity of chlorine has been added; what I cannot remember is how much bleach per volume of water, and how long it needs to be soaked.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

It's worse than eating it raw: you're going to take whatever bacteria are there and incubate them at a warm-ish temperature for a couple hours in the oven where they will multiply like crazy. If you have your heart set on roasting, I'd give each side of the steak a quick high-heat sear before combining them. Alternately, you could boil them briefly (60 seconds, I think? I can't remember the number you're supposed to use).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Insofar as adding salt would reduce the water activity, yes, it would help, as would a marinade of red wine and oregano (a combination which is particularly good at killing bacteria), or a bath in boiling or chlorinated water: there are a number of steps that you can take to help mitigate the risk. As usual it becomes a question of deciding what level of risk is acceptable to you. Just remember that you're going to have the center of that roast square in the optimal bacterial growth temperature range for an extended period of time, surrounded by plenty of food sources.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Running a blowtorch over the cut surfaces would help kill the nasties. Or, as Chris mentioned, boiling water. Chris couldn't remember the timing and neither can I, but my memory from discussions in the SV thread is that you just need to dunk the meat in and out (watch your fingers!).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory