• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Lactisole in savory sorbets

Shalmanese

Lactisole is a chemical that temporarily disables sweet receptors. It's useful for applications where you want the textural or anti-microbial characteristics of sugar but without the taste. Has anyone tried using lactisole in savory sorbets to tone down the sweetness? It's available under the brand name "Super Envision" from Domino sugar.

PS: I am a guy.

I haven't tried it. I got excited about the product initially but kinda lost interest because it's not only going to kill the perception of sweet in the target item, it's going to kill it in everything else for however long the effect lasts. I don't know how long that is and wouldn't want it carrying over into other components or courses. Even in a savory course, sweetness plays a role in some ingredients so I'd need to play around and see what the cumulative effect on a meal would be.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.