• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning floured tea/kitchen towels

piracer

So i made a loaf of bread the other day and one part of the recipe had me basically cover the loaf in a tea towel for it to rise. Naturally i floured the heck out of it so the bread won't stick and what not. Now the last time i tried washing the tea towel after beating the flour of it, the remaining flour just soaked up all that water and it was a pain to wash off. I made the BAD BAD mistake of putting it into the dryer where the flour bits then dried off but since i put it in with other clothes i found shards (they were sharp!) of flour bits all over my clothes. So how do you guys clean your towels?

Don't wash it! Store it in a plastic baggie and keep for future use when baking bread - that is what I do.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Don't wash it! Store it in a plastic baggie and keep for future use when baking bread - that is what I do.

Me too! Mine are all in a plastic bag in the freezer - along with the cloth couche, some kneading gloves the linen banneton liners, etc., to prevent "invasion" by flour-loving critters.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Me too! Mine are all in a plastic bag in the freezer - along with the cloth couche, some kneading gloves the linen banneton liners, etc., to prevent "invasion" by flour-loving critters.

A lot of bakeries do this, the couches never get washed unless something horrible happens.

Next time, I suggest dispensing with floured towels and using an alternative. The point of covering the dough is to prevent air from moving on the dough and forming a skin. You don't want drafts on the dough as it's rising. You can sprinkle the dough with flour or mist it with spray oil, and then cover it loosely with plastic wrap. You could also put a large box over the dough. I favor flour and plastic wrap, myself.

Peter Reinhart has other ideas in his Bread Baker's Apprentice. On Googlebooks, pp 87-88, especially suggestions for the home baker on p 88.

http://books.google.com/books?id=htveL1MPqYMC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=reinhart+proof+box+improvisation&source=bl&ots=nanf0uVJJM&sig=HXaaRJTRl4ISt6UVQ31j7KBhsxY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5QUdT6PPB7LoiAKuqpn6Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by djyee100 (log)

ohhh thats a good idea, having a dedicated towel for bread. If there are bits of dough stuck here and there, it should be ok right?? Kinda like having a mini starter...

If there are bits of dough stuck to the towel, they'll dry rock hard and be quite unpleasant if they stick to the next loaf. Not starter-like at all. But if the towel is well floured, there shouldn't be any dough stuck to it.

I rinse off my floured towels as well as I can in the sink before putting them in the laundry, and haven't had trouble getting them clean with cold water washing.

It helps to have a towel with a completely smooth surface...sort of like the smooth percale used on US bedsheets. In fact, old 100% cotton pillowcases make excellent dough cloths. I haven't had any problems with flour washing out of my very smooth towels, but the even slightly "bumpier" weave of others is problematic.