• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epic Failure with white chocolate fudge

Shelby

Ok, you all know that I'm no whiz at making sweets. So, of course, I decided to make my family a whole array of different treats and send them in the mail for Christmas. Most have turned out ok, but I have a big failure and I don't want to waste it.

I tried to make fudge using white chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and Bailey's Irish Cream. It seemed dang simple, but I must have done something wrong because it won't set up. It's the texture of a soft caramel.

Ideas on ways to use it? I'm not asking to save the fudge because I think that's impossible, but could I turn it into something else? It tastes really good.

Can you re-imagine it as a truffle? Maybe a little more white chocolate melted into it would stiffen it sufficiently to hold its shape, and you could coat small orbs or squares in chocolate shavings, sugar, nuts, etc. Try refrigerating it, then scooping it with a spring-loaded tablespoon or teaspoon scoop, coating the balls with (whatever you'd like), then placing the coated orbs into candy cups. Thus, if they're too soft to hold their shape, the recipients can still pell it out of the paper cups like a typical candy.

The ratios for making ganache change in relation to the type of chocolate used. White chocolate doesn't set up like dark does, so you need to use a lot more of it -usually double the amount of dark that you'd usually use.

Like HungryC points out, you could chill it and enrobe in tempered chocolate, roll in nuts, etc.

You could also use it as cake icing, just warm and pour over a bundt cake. Or, spread as a filling between two cake layers, just make sure to pipe a ring of your main icing around the edge of the first layer to act as a dam to hold it in. Pour the lightly warmed stuff into the center, chill, then apply the second layer and frost the whole cake.

How about going with the fact that it's like a soft caramel? Wrap mouthfuls in little squares of colored foil or cellophane, even waxed paper in a pinch. It would be the kind of sweet that you have to unwrap and lick off the wrapper. A shop around here sells very soft caramels like that, & I'm addicted to them.

Can you re-imagine it as a truffle? Maybe a little more white chocolate melted into it would stiffen it sufficiently to hold its shape, and you could coat small orbs or squares in chocolate shavings, sugar, nuts, etc. Try refrigerating it, then scooping it with a spring-loaded tablespoon or teaspoon scoop, coating the balls with (whatever you'd like), then placing the coated orbs into candy cups. Thus, if they're too soft to hold their shape, the recipients can still pell it out of the paper cups like a typical candy.

AH I knew you all would be brilliant and have some great ideas!

So, it won't hurt to re-melt it and add more chocolate to it?

Great idea. I have some colored sanding sugar that would look cool over the white of the truffle.

The ratios for making ganache change in relation to the type of chocolate used. White chocolate doesn't set up like dark does, so you need to use a lot more of it -usually double the amount of dark that you'd usually use.

Like HungryC points out, you could chill it and enrobe in tempered chocolate, roll in nuts, etc.

You could also use it as cake icing, just warm and pour over a bundt cake. Or, spread as a filling between two cake layers, just make sure to pipe a ring of your main icing around the edge of the first layer to act as a dam to hold it in. Pour the lightly warmed stuff into the center, chill, then apply the second layer and frost the whole cake.

That's what I did wrong! I didn't know that about white chocolate. Thank you!

I wonder if I've stumbled onto something to make on purpose next time :)

Pouring over a bundt cake is a fabulous idea. If I run out of steam tonight--massive baking going on--I'm going to do this and just keep it for myself.

How about going with the fact that it's like a soft caramel? Wrap mouthfuls in little squares of colored foil or cellophane, even waxed paper in a pinch. It would be the kind of sweet that you have to unwrap and lick off the wrapper. A shop around here sells very soft caramels like that, & I'm addicted to them.

See? I love a squishy candy like that, but I didn't know of all would.....I have parchment paper..

I wonder what a sprinkle of sea salt would do? Not good?

You might also tinker with the consistency a bit, and turn it into a white chocolate sauce, or a filling for chocolates.

Adding some a little salt (sea salt flakes, perhaps?) sounds like a great idea: The ingredient list, as it stands, seems really, really sweet (and as anyone who's watched me sweeten my coffee knows, the concept of 'too sweet' has almost no meaning for me :wink: ).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org