• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Found food

Margaret Pilgrim

It struck me today that occasionally we salvage a rather good meal from apparent dross. e.g., I bought 2 turkey necks and 2 wings to roast and create a rich broth for additional Thanksgiving turkey gravy. Fast forward to facing down the drained meat: toss to compost or...

Tonight -> turkey hash with poached egg and chili sauce.

Tomorrow lunch -> open face curried turkey salad on whole wheat bread.

So, please share your phoenix from the ashes... :smile:

eGullet member #80.

My BIL accidentally burned some steaks and was going to pitch the somewhat charred remains. I took them home and trimmed off the char, then cut the remaining well done meat into small chunks and used it in beef barley soup. It turned out well.

Dick in Northbrook, IL

Actually I've planned something similar to OP, I'm going to roast turkey wings for make ahead gravy and using the meat for chili. I've used chili as my salvage yard in the past for overcooked/dried out chicken, it covers for a lot of mistakes!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

My husband reminded me of "his" favorite saved food. Whenever I make bouillabaisse, I go to my fishmonger and ask for a white fish frame. He will give me the entire skeleton, which usually includes cheeks and other large chunks of exquisitely fresh fish. I extract enough of these for a meal before boiling up the chopped up bones for soup base. In fact, a frame is usually big enough to chop in two and freeze one for another batch.

eGullet member #80.