• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gifting whisky

ChrisTaylor

Later in the year I'm heading overseas to meet my girlfriend's father. The man, I'm told, likes his whisky. Where he is--and on his budget--he can get Johnnie Red and maybe Black. I want to buy him a nice bottle of whisky, a step up from his usual dram.

My thoughts:

* Glenfiddich, say, 12 or 15 is very accessible. It's perhaps a little 'boring' but it's a safe bet.

* Lagavulin 16. Lagavulin is a whisky that, to my mind, has a flavour that says 'hi, I'm whisky' (peaty, etc) without being as ... assertive as Laphroaig. It's interesting without being divisive. Of course, peaty whiskies in any intensity are divisive.

* Or, as much as I wouldn't buy it for myself, a Walker Green or Blue or etc.

It's different to buying whisky for a friend or, say, buying whisky for someone who I know likes Talisker. When they're someone who drinks and enjoys a blend that is basically designed to please everyone (as opposed to one of those blends that, say, wants to highlight the qualities of a specific region--i.e. Monkey Shoulder from Speyside), it's difficult.

Thoughts?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

As you imply, "liking whisky" is likely to be different from appreciating some of the more complex single malts.

I'd try a Glenmorangie Original, which is probably the easiest transition from the blends you mentioned into the world of single malts: sweet, smooth and light (because of the height of the stills).

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

As you imply, "liking whisky" is likely to be different from appreciating some of the more complex single malts.

I'd try a Glenmorangie Original, which is probably the easiest transition from the blends you mentioned into the world of single malts: sweet, smooth and light (because of the height of the stills).

I would second that choice. As someone who drinks only an occasional scotch the three "Glens" (Glenmorangie Original, Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12) typically make a good milder intro to single malt and are generally readily available.

I keep Glenlivet in the house as it seems the mildest of the three but of the three Glenmorangie might be the most unique and require the most adjustment to a new drinker (With Glenfiddich somewhere in the middle). Glenmorangie is a Highland malt as compared to the other two which are Speyside malts. But since your GF's father is already a blend drinker he might not find it that much of a transition and it may have a tad more character than the other two.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

A suggestion on a different track than a single malt. If he really likes blends how about turning him onto something that has been garnering a lot of attention for being innovative. Forty Creek whiskys are my favourite blended whiskys now.

Forty Creek Barrel Select Won double gold at San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2006

Forty Creek Confederation Oak won double gold 2011 in san fran too.

double gold means all 33 judges unanimously awarded it gold.

What is a bit different about the forty creek whiskys is that the three grains are each treated as single malts. they are mashed, fermented , distilled , aged separately then blended and finished in another barrel .

a fuller discription of their process here.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

As nickrey suggested, Glenmorangie would be a good choice, as would Highland Park 12 or Isle of Jura Superstition. These are well-rounded malts with enough character to distinguish themselves from blends, but without being extreme. If you feel compelled to go with Glenfiddich or Glenlivet I'd spring for the 15yr expressions rather than the 12yr which, to my taste, tend to be too close to blends to be worth the bother. If Johnnie Walker Blue is actually an option for you, you might want to consider Macallan 18.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I ended up settling on two gifts: one for Christmas, the other for taking me on for a month. Glenfarclas 15 comes bundled with minis of the 20 and 25 year old expressions. Nice gift presentation. As for the second, I'm going with my original idea: Lagavulin 16. Laphroaig would be a shit idea, but having had a few drams of the Lagavulin since I first bought a bottle for myself a week-ish ago, I think it's accessible enough. Certainly more accessible than, say, Ardbeg or Talisker.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Not to play devils advocate - can he get the whisky he enjoys locally? if not he may just be happier with a bottle of that and it also shows that you know his preferences... If he can get them locally then i understand you getting something different....

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man