• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt Goes With...

weinoo

A good plain yogurt is pretty universal... if you don't like it with x food... more than likely it is failure of imagination to find the way to tie the flavors together than it is about anything inherent to yogurt. For example, I generally agree that Yogurt & Citrus is a tricky combination.. but combine the yogurt with some orange blossom honey & chopped bergamot mint (mentha citrata)... spoon that over sliced oranges and I challenge you to not like it.

Chocolate Yoplait strange & unlikeable... but 2% Fage with my homemade chocolate sauce = delicacy

I take all challengers.. you give me a food... and I will figure out how it can pair with yogurt :biggrin:

Edited by EatNopales (log)

From the responses here I would conclude that the variety of accompaniments you like with yogurt is directly proportional to how much you actually like yogurt. I'm picky about yogurt. I hate all those supermarket brands that have fruit or flavor mixed in. I do like Fage Greek yogurt--the 2% tastes like whole milk to me--and I do like Strauss plain whole milk yogurt. Trader Joe's European style yogurt is a pretty good sub for the local Strauss organic. Generally I don't like fat-free yogurt. Sometimes I like a lace of honey in plain yogurt.

My latest discovery is yogurt with lekvah. Don't know what lekvah is? It is the thick prune paste that goes into a prune danish and other baked goodies. It's easy to make, flavored with a little lemon zest, cinnamon, etc.

I like yogurt with berries and especially with cold grapes (adding a sprinkle of brown sugar to bowl w/grapes: yummy!) I like it mixed with cucumber as in a raita to go with Indian food. I could see it on the plate with chopped apple with Indian food, but apple would be low on my list of fruits to have mixed into yogurt. I don't like it with granola or any cereal. I don't care for it in smoothies. I don't like it with any of the toppings you might find at a frozen yogurt joint. I don't want it within spitting distance of my oatmeal or waffles.

Cheetos and yogurt is possibly one of the worst ideas I have ever heard, so thanks for that. Cheetos and beer is fine, cheetos and a Bloody Mary is spectacular. Peanut butter and yogurt sounds awful to me.

Well... how does dipping Cheetos in Sour Cream sound? Admit it.. that kind of sounds good to you right? I really doubt most people could distinguish between Sour Cream & a medium thick, full fat Med style Yogurt / Jocoque in a blind taste test... specially if they were just told that they are tasting two different Sour Creams... I really doubt many people would say... oh wait a minute I don't think one of them is even sour cream.

I'm willing to take the Cheetos & Yogurt Challenge. I wouldn't pour a bowl of Cheetos and fill it with yogurt, a la cereal and milk, but I bet Cheetos dipped in plain yogurt would be awesome.

I was re-thinking Cheetos + yogurt this afternoon. I don't have either at home, so I dipped the Whole Foods version of Cheetos ("Cheese Curls") in sour cream, and it is good. So I am changing my mind - Cheetos + yogurt should be quite delicious!

Although I'm still not convinced that yogurt over a bowl of Cheetos would be worth eating. :huh:

Ok, here's an offensive one - yogurt stirred into your morning cup of tea. I defy anyone to make that taste good!

I saw a discarded bottle of soft drink on my way to the shops today. Not Coke or Fanta or anything like that, but yoghurt flavoured soft drink. I've never seen it for sale anywhere but I'm curious. I kind of find it hard to imagine. I'm a bit worried, too, given flavoured soft drinks never really taste like what they're supposed to--Fanta doesn't taste like the oranges you buy at the supermarket, so I can't imagine a yoghurt-flavoured soft drink tasting much like a tub of organic pot-set Greek yoghurt.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I saw a discarded bottle of soft drink on my way to the shops today. Not Coke or Fanta or anything like that, but yoghurt flavoured soft drink. I've never seen it for sale anywhere but I'm curious. I kind of find it hard to imagine. I'm a bit worried, too, given flavoured soft drinks never really taste like what they're supposed to--Fanta doesn't taste like the oranges you buy at the supermarket, so I can't imagine a yoghurt-flavoured soft drink tasting much like a tub of organic pot-set Greek yoghurt.

This reminds me of Rivella, a Swiss soft drink made from milk whey.

I was re-thinking Cheetos + yogurt this afternoon. I don't have either at home, so I dipped the Whole Foods version of Cheetos ("Cheese Curls") in sour cream, and it is good. So I am changing my mind - Cheetos + yogurt should be quite delicious!

Although I'm still not convinced that yogurt over a bowl of Cheetos would be worth eating. :huh:

Ok, here's an offensive one - yogurt stirred into your morning cup of tea. I defy anyone to make that taste good!

Okay.. but what if we re-imagine it as an iced English Black Tea, Coconut Milk, Yogurt drink sweetened with Condensed Milk?

Or how about an Earl Grey infused simple syrup stirred into a nice thick, plain yogurt?

I'm willing to take the Cheetos & Yogurt Challenge. I wouldn't pour a bowl of Cheetos and fill it with yogurt, a la cereal and milk, but I bet Cheetos dipped in plain yogurt would be awesome.

I think that if you pulverize a cup of Cheetos... blend it with a cup of yogurt & then topped that with large, broken pieces of Cheetos.. it might not be bad.

:

If you added salt and the yogurt was really thick, you'd have Tibetan Butter Tea, which may not be to everyone's taste but the Tibetans seem to like it.

Yogurt and lamb. And that's my one and only combination. I like tzatziki, but that's about it. I'll take sour cream over yogurt any day.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

The local middle eastern market sells that drink. I've never tried it but the next time I visit the store I will pick up a bottle or two.

P.S. I had a mango lassi for breakfast - no sugar, flavored only with freshly ground comet tail black pepper.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think that if you pulverize a cup of Cheetos... blend it with a cup of yogurt & then topped that with large, broken pieces of Cheetos.. it might not be bad.

Ok, I was starting to be convinced that cheetos and yogurt MIGHT not be so bad. Yogurt is close to sour cream, you can use sour cream to make french onion dip, and cheetos in french onion dip sounds kind of good.

But the idea of cheetos blended into yogurt has grossed me out so much worse than when the whole conversation started.

Asian supermarkets carry yogurt sodas. I think Calpico is one such brand...? Not offensive, but I don't love it.

Okay.. but what if we re-imagine it as an iced English Black Tea, Coconut Milk, Yogurt drink sweetened with Condensed Milk?

Or how about an Earl Grey infused simple syrup stirred into a nice thick, plain yogurt?

Ok, I'd eat those. Tea + yogurt in the right circumstances can likely be interesting dessert-y applications. I have seen green tea yogurt - imagine it must taste like green tea ice cream - and yogurt "bubble tea" is available here too (don't know if there is any actual tea in it though). But I think I'd still prefer a spot of milk to my English Breakfast than a dollop of yogurt!

Ok, I was starting to be convinced that cheetos and yogurt MIGHT not be so bad. Yogurt is close to sour cream, you can use sour cream to make french onion dip, and cheetos in french onion dip sounds kind of good.

But the idea of cheetos blended into yogurt has grossed me out so much worse than when the whole conversation started.

Add some taco seasoning or a couple spoonfuls of salsa, maybe it'll taste sort of like that jarred nacho cheese sauce - into which you can dip Cheetos. :raz:

yogurt w mint = yes

yogurt w coffee = no.

I like coffee-flavored yogurt. I make a coffee-flavored "cheesecake" that is made with yogurt. It is obviously popular with consumers as almost all the major brands offer a coffee flavor.

I prepare a sweet espresso reduction/syrup to flavor it. Works great.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yeah but if Grant Achatz did some kind of modernist Cheeto flavored Yogurt everyone (okay most "foodies" not everyone)would be swooning simply at the idea & marvelling at his genius while declaring it the best recipe of the Western Hemisphere in the last 50 years :laugh:

Yogurt and ice cream do have a point! I love clotted cream ice cream, with coconut yogurt poured over the top. The yougurt provides a sharpness that compliments the richness of the ice cream.

Yogurt and foie gras? There's a challenge for someone I guess...

If when you die you get a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not, mmmboy.

Laban is a popular yoghurt drink in the middle east, usually either plain or salted, I became a big fan when living in Lebanon. Same goes for yoghurt with meat. In terms of yoghurt with fruit I prefer it with berries - the acidity of apple and the wateriness of melon have meant I have never really thought of paring them with yoghurt, dried apple with other dried fruits, granola and honey on the other hand is great!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I don't see why yoghurt and foie gras should be so hard. Yoghurt is a common accompaniment to all kinds of meats, including very tender and rich kebabs. So why shouldn't it work with foie gras?

Agreed.... a boring old French style Foie Gras served with Masala Yogurt reduction would be pretty darn spectacular in my humble opinion.