• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Alone in Southern California

jnash85

I have the day to myself and will be in the Santa Anna / Costa Mesa area tonight. I need a reccomendation on where to eat. I honestly don't care what kind of food, just want something where I can get out for around $50 or less. Cheap places are fine as long as its good food.

I've already eaten at Bouchon in LA and had some seafood, pho, and Indian food. I've never been out to the west coast and wanting to make the most of my trip.

Edited by jnash85 (log)

In Costa Mesa, I recommend Marche Moderne. It's a French bistro strangely located inside the South Coast Plaza shopping center (but that has its own patio so you quickly forget that you are in a mall). The chef Florent is French and his wife Amelia is the pastry chef. Their food is very creative, a combination of classic dishes with interesting twists. I remember having an impeccable foie gras au torchon there, and also a delicious tajine with local vegetables.

Honkman posted a detailed review of the restaurant here.

If you like Japanese, you might try Kappo Sui. I don't think they have a website - they hardly speak English.

But here is the yelp site: click

It is a hole in the wall in a mini-mall, typical for eating out in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa (when not off at fancy South Coast Plaza, which is fine too).

Ask the waitress for some of the dishes listed in Japanese on the blackboard.