• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polyscience Sonic Prep Homogenizer

Maxim

I noticed a post on Ideas in Food recently about a new device from Polyscience (seemingly not available for purchase yet) - the "Sonic Prep" homogeniser. Basically, it seems to be like a commercial quality stick blender with a vibrating tip rather than blades at the end. It should be able to homogenise different liquids, infuse liquids with tastes and make emulsions quicker.

It didn't strike me initially as any sort of "mad have" for a mad-scientist-style cook, but I am intrigued by the applications. Any good ideas how one might use one in the kitchen?

Homaro Cantu and Ben Roche did an appearance on the most recent episode of Hell's Kitchen (a show which I grew tired of a long time ago but was curious to see what the Moto guys were going to do... not much as it turns out) and used it (or a variation of it, they didn't actually mention Polyscience) to make an instant sorbet. They cut a hole in the rind of an orange, stuck the sonic device into the orange and used it to completely liquify the contents which they they then made into a sorbet with liquid nitrogen. The only real advantage in that application other than the cool factor was the speed. The had pure juice sorbet in about the time it would take to juice the orange normally. The Ideas in Food use of it is much more interesting to me but I'm waiting to hear some information regarding price. I've seen lab variations of this device that probably inspired it and even the most basic I've seen are in the over $2000 range.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook, you sure it wasn't a rotor-stator homegenizer? An interesting short overview, including ultrasonic and mechanical.

Nope, I'm not sure. He didn't say much about it other than it was using sound waves to liquify everything inside the orange. I was intrigued but not overly excited. A couple days later I saw the post on Ideas in Food and mild curiosity changed into real interest. But no, I'm not sure both were involving the same instrument.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 months later...

Ultrasonic Cavitation

MC has several recipes that involve ultrasonic cavitation. Most seem to use the Branson 8150, which costs somewhere around $1740, although smaller and less expensive units, e.g., the 5510 with a 11 1/2" x 9 1/2" x 6" 2 1/2 gal tank, might meet my needs, at around $1094.

But PolyScience now offers their SonicPrep, which instead of using a tank, uses an immersible tool that costs around $4500!

Has anyone compared these two devices, and can you offer any conclusions?